Fouts pitching out of her glove.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Not really arguing against pitching out of the glove, but wondering how much pitch picking actually happens. Abbot, Osterman, Ueno, Ocasio, etc. all use backswings. Is it worth spending the time on? I'm guessing if your DD has switched then you feel like it is, but Fouts didn't seem to be having much trouble before.

My guess is that seeing the ball, period, is far more important than actually picking the specific pitch.

Dec 16, 2010
I don't have a college degree, which is something most (not all) P5 schools require. I went to New Zealand after finishing high school for my first season pitching internationally. Ironically, that decision disqualified me from becoming a P5 college coach.
Thank you!

I had no idea about that. I'd like to think that Bama wouldn't saddle themselves with meaningless "qualifications" and just hire the best candidate for the job. I have no idea if that's the case.

Dec 11, 2010
This is an interesting post to me. I did not know Lance was at Mizzou.

During the Earlywine years dd attended a camp at Mizzou. Gillis and d’Amore were still there. The camp was mostly hitting off of a murderers row of mens pitchers. It sorted the hitters from the posers right away.

Jul 22, 2015
I can't think many batters can tell in the fraction of a second the ball is exposed. Especially when pitchers have the same (or very similar) grips on most pitches.

If your stick your knuckle way out on a change, perhaps.
See what Hillhouse said, but it's generally coaches who are picking the pitches. Yelling something as simple as "SIT" when you pick a change up grip or "UP" when you pick a rise can make a huge difference. Also, depending on the pitcher, hearing that the other team has picked her pitches can wreck her mindset. I saw it happen early in the regionals last year but can't remember who it was.

Aug 21, 2008
This is an interesting post to me. I did not know Lance was at Mizzou.

During the Earlywine years dd attended a camp at Mizzou. Gillis and d’Amore were still there. The camp was mostly hitting off of a murderers row of mens pitchers. It sorted the hitters from the posers right away.
Yes, actually, Doug wasn't even at Mizzou when he was at Mizzou. Huh? Yea, the NCAA used to allow "Pitching coach "CONSULTANTS" instead having them on staff. So, when Earlywhine was still there, and before Pete coached, Doug was Mizzou's "consultant". I did the same thing for both Drexel and Georgia. So, being a "consultant" was different from being on staff. I could not work with pitchers on campus property. And while Georgia would pay my travel expenses I wasn't allowed to work with the staff at the field. We had to go to a local indoor facility. And then the girl's had to "Pay me" for my lesson, to which I'd then pay them the money back for "helping me with my next lesson". The hoops necessary to jump through for NCAA will never cease to astonish. I don't remember what year the NCAA abolished allowing consultants, maybe when the 3rd assistant was allowed??? I don't know.

May 21, 2018
My guess is that seeing the ball, period, is far more important than actually picking the specific pitch.
Could be. Just glancing at Fout's stats so far this year, I'm not sure how much it's helping. Obviously it's early, so probably not worth reading much into stats at this point.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Yes, actually, Doug wasn't even at Mizzou when he was at Mizzou. Huh? Yea, the NCAA used to allow "Pitching coach "CONSULTANTS" instead having them on staff. So, when Earlywhine was still there, and before Pete coached, Doug was Mizzou's "consultant". I did the same thing for both Drexel and Georgia. So, being a "consultant" was different from being on staff. I could not work with pitchers on campus property. And while Georgia would pay my travel expenses I wasn't allowed to work with the staff at the field. We had to go to a local indoor facility. And then the girl's had to "Pay me" for my lesson, to which I'd then pay them the money back for "helping me with my next lesson". The hoops necessary to jump through for NCAA will never cease to astonish. I don't remember what year the NCAA abolished allowing consultants, maybe when the 3rd assistant was allowed??? I don't know.
Consultant is always better than being on staff $$$$$$$$$$ :D Sorry, I had to! :cool:

Aug 21, 2008
Consultant is always better than being on staff $$$$$$$$$$ :D Sorry, I had to! :cool:
well, unfortunately I don't see the humor in this or why it's funny. In Georgia for example, the only $$ I made was doing private lessons when I wasn't with the GA pitchers.

Aug 21, 2008
Could be. Just glancing at Fout's stats so far this year, I'm not sure how much it's helping. Obviously it's early, so probably not worth reading much into stats at this point.
I haven't looked at the stats but, I'm guessing they're not good based off this post. I find it a very odd time for her to reinvent herself as a pitcher, 1 year of eligibility left and a new coach whom I'm sure she doesn't have a huge rapport with.
I have no idea why this 2nd quote keeps popping up.

So I just googled it and saw her pitching against Duke. She definitely changed her delivery but, not in what I would call for the better. Again, I don't understand making the change now. But, the changes she made are going to have minimal effect. I was hoping to see something better that would improve as the season goes on and she gets her timing down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00