Forgive me for I have sinned...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
It has been 500 posts since my last visit to DiscussFastpitch. Work has required me to actually focus on working and has left little to no time for extra curricular softball activities ;). There HAS to be another way to make money and still give me ample softball time!

So, HS season is well underway with a brand new coach and my DD being told she was her starting freshman pitcher! She was amp-ed and I was rather proud. She works hard and has a passion for the game. I have tried really hard to prevent myself from being "one of those parents" so I come now to the Chapel of Softball for counseling!

DD started a few games, actually had a no hitter going into the sixth on one, and was doing fairly decent. Then she had a bad game. 1st inning pretty much 1-2-3, but they got two on the board. Second inning, she couldn't have hit water from a boat with a ball, let alone the strike zone. Well it happens, she got pulled, no big issue, I would have done the same. They bring her back in the 5th and she is back to her old self and shuts them out for the remaining three innings. Still the coach has nothing but "sunshine", says she realizes she's still young and is glad she could come back and finish the game.

That was two weeks ago, and since then the coach has started anyone EXCEPT my dd. Not really upset about that, but not super happy either. Instead she has been starting girls who haven't been pitching or been to lessons for years. Girls that told her they have pitched, but don't want to. She still pitches them, which will help in the long run so she can always have more than one pitcher. My issue is that she waits until we are down, bases loaded, no outs, THEN she puts dd in. Last three games dd came in and while not always shutting them out, the runs they scored on her were less than the runs we had on the board.

I'm not sure if dd is pitcher of last resort or pitcher of "might as well". Either way dd is getting pretty upset. I told her it wasn't our job to make the roster, but to do as the coach asks. I guess I just don't understand why one wouldn't give her a shot at keeping the score within reach and then if she started getting rocked, to pull her. Why we she tell dd she was her ace, then put her in an unrealistic situation?

I promise to be a better Discuss patron!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It sounds like she is desperately looking for some OTHER pitchers. The way you described it doesn’t sound like she has lost faith in your DD, just has confidence she can do her job.

Hang in there, I bet it settles down in a couple weeks.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sounds like the coach has come to realize that she had better have more than one pitcher, so she is giving other girls a chance to see what they can do. Do you have pre-season games before you start the regular season or conference play?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One thing that used to bother me, was when a coach would put my DD in to clean up some other pitcher's mess. Your DD needs to speak in private, with the coach.

Dec 7, 2011
So do we all assume that the HS coach even knows what the heck he/she is doing?

I have seen too many HS coaches that just rely on their memories of coaching strategy they saw in a movie in the 70's & 80's......

Ya there are a few good ones BUT do not discount that the coach is clueless.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Welcome back Bucketrider.

We have a similar situation with our HS pitching rotation. Last year we had 3, this year we will have 2 1/2. Both our senior pitchers will be gone after this year and the only "real" pitcher left is a freshman, so coach is giving her some innings here and there to get the experience.

Now, the "clean up". You don't realize it yet ( neither did I with mine ) but sounds like yours is the "go to pitcher" when the game is in a jam. It's quite an honor, but man it can be quite nerve racking to old dad. Relieving in those situations is where my DD got her nickname "the assassin".

I know your daughter may be getting upset but she will learn the coach feels she might be the only chance they have. An honor.

then put her in an unrealistic situation?

I got one for ya as an example. Regional do or die playoff game, we went behind 7-3 in the second inning. They were lighting our starter up like a Christmas tree. My DD Alex came in the circle in the 3rd, not only did she hold them to no more runs, but our team rallied offensively and won 8-7 over 10 innings. It was the most intense game I've ever seen in HS softball, probably had 300 in attendance.

Softball: Munford goes extra innings to edge Bolton » The Commercial Appeal

Nov 29, 2009
One thing that used to bother me, was when a coach would put my DD in to clean up some other pitcher's mess.

My DD used to love being put into a game in that type of situation. It takes a pitcher with a certain mentality who wants the ball in that type of situation. I used to like to see her come in an shut a team down. The guy who ran her travel team program nick named her "Closer" because she was one of the few kids who could come into a mess and close another team down. She would complain to me if she didn't get put in or it was too late and the damage was done.

My issue is that she waits until we are down, bases loaded, no outs, THEN she puts dd in. Last three games dd came in and while not always shutting them out, the runs they scored on her were less than the runs we had on the board.

Tell your DD to bask in the situation of being handed a mess with the confidence that she can clean it up. It shows the coach has confidence in her abilities as a pitcher. If you whine about it she will. If you project confidence and support of her abilities she will rise to those expectations. Anyone can make excuses. The real player steps up to the challenge and performs to the best of their ability in adverse situations.

As others have pointed out. The coach may be looking for another pitcher on the team. Remember, your DD is only one play away from possibly being knocked out of a game or more.

Jan 25, 2011
My dd was called in a lot in last year of 12u TB. She started the first game of every weekend and then would be put in all the time when the other pitchers would self destruct. My dd loved it, she felt that the coach had confidence in her to get us out of the mess. She didn't all the time, but more times she did then not. Tell her to hang in there and Bucketrider just keep giving her the motivation.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Being a freshman is tough - they truly are very very young. They are going up against girls who will graduate in just a few months and head off to college level play; a big step up, especially playing in a strong conference. DD was a freshman pitcher on varsity this past fall; she definitely had a few freak out moments when she started in the circle. After that, the coach recognized (correctly, I now realize, once the emotions are gone) that DD was indeed very young and had some further developing to do. Later in the season, she did see time as a clean-up pitcher. I saw it more as giving DD experience, and looking back, I recognize that it was good for her. At the time, though, I was very upset and found it extremely difficult to watch the disaster happen - the worst thing ever is to see your child hurting and know that you really can't do much to help.
Things are so much better, now. DD made some wonderful upperclassmen friends who have been great role models and she is going into her club season a stronger, more self-aware player. Try to fight the temptation to say anthing - to the coach or to your daugheter, other than murmuring sympathetic sounds when she complains at home. Later, when it's all water under the bridge and everything works out, you'll be glad that you kept choice words to yourself :)

Oct 22, 2009
BUcketrider, sounds to me like she (the coach) may have just got a little nervous about your DD losing it during the game and now she just wants to make sure she has a "back-up" pitcher just in case it happens again. And of course that back up pitcher is going to need a lot of pitching time. Your DD is still a freshman and she has already proven that she'll capable to a point for the coach, so she has plenty of time to get a lot of future innings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619