For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
The biggest reason I use FP players rather than MLB players when working with the girls is when my granddaughter’s swing was compared to Nolan Arrenado. She quite bluntly stated, “I swing like Rachel Garcia.” Her heroes for her game are FP players.
Just wanted to emphasize this. My hero was Mickey Mantle. My grand daughter's hero is Rachel Garcia.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
? what is that sentence ?
"the rise ball does not rise above the original trajectory of the pitch" your saying its released on a path that it stays on.....
The pitch is released with an initial velocity, which has a magnitude and direction (e.g. initial trajectory which is upward in FP) since it is a vector. If no forces were acting on it would continue along this (straight line) trajectory. However there are forces acting on it due to gravity and the spin put on the ball. If the upward force due to the spin (and velocity) was larger than the downward force due to gravity, the ball would deviate upwards from this straight line path. If the force of gravity is larger than the upward force it would deviate downward (e.g. towards the ground) from this straight line path. Women's fastpitch pitchers (not sure about men..I thought I read that might be possible) are not able to throw it hard enough/spin it enough to create an upward deviation from the straight line path.

Like @Eric F said (or was inferring at least), it is difficult to hit because basically our brain extrapolates when we hit. We read a pitch location/speed, go into our memory bank for all the times we have seen that read and then extrapolate to figure out where the ball will end up in the hitting zone and then adjust accordingly. Because it looks so much like a high fastball the extrapolation gets all wonky (kind of like the "cubic model" used by the White House of late... :LOL: )

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
The perception is that it is rises because it doesn't fall as much as you expect. Depending on how high the trajectory, it may be going up through the zone though. Which is a good change from the -4 to -7 that is average.

Here's a men's pitch at 1:07 not sure if it actually rises from the trajectory or not. Very sure it is nasty though.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The perception is that it is rises because it doesn't fall as much as you expect. Depending on how high the trajectory, it may be going up through the zone though. Which is a good change from the -4 to -7 that is average.

Here's a men's pitch at 1:07 not sure if it actually rises from the trajectory or not. Very sure it is nasty though.

i think Pattar commented on something like this before, recognize and take.

Dec 11, 2010
Fastpitch is released in the strike zone to move out of the strikezone.

Baseball is released out of the strike zone going down into the strike zone.

I have never heard/read anyone but Rad make this comment. It is easily one of the most insightful comments I have ever read on this board.

There is a lot of oft repeated behind the backstop b.s. that gets repeated so many times that people believe it and post it here but this is a gem. It kind of got glossed over last time too.

May 12, 2016
Problem is not many dads on here have hit against a good softball pitcher. Most have baseball experience. Regardless of the actual physics or trajectory... to the hitter(perspective), the damn thing rises and it’s a nightmare. That pitch does not exist on baseball. I don’t think you change your swing... but you certainly adjust when facing a good pitcher who throws hard. All of her pitches will have a flatter trajectory.... exception being the change up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1