For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
*pattar checking to see if there are rules which don't allow people to post whoever they want when discussing hitting...................................................................................................................nope cannot find such a rule*

Oh and while men have "bigger muscles" females have 200 ft fences and souped up bats.... 🤷‍♂️

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Fastpitch is released in the strike zone to move out of the strikezone.

Baseball is released out of the strike zone going down into the strike zone.
Always downward trajectory.
Never an upward pitch.
Not disagreeing with you Radcatcher but it seems like no one here has had the luxury of facing a high hard one with some jump in a baseball game :eek:. Sends you back to the bench quite easily.

Apr 16, 2013
...and souped up bats.... 🤷‍♂️
One of my DD's goals is to get one over a standard 200ft fence with one of her wood bats. She's come so damn close a few times, but this has been a very hard thing to do!!! If anyone wants to realize just how "souped up" your DDs softball bat is, swing wood, on the field, so you can actively see the difference.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not disagreeing with you Radcatcher but it seems like no one here has had the luxury of facing a high hard one with some jump in a baseball game :eek:. Sends you back to the bench quite easily.
Interestingly I on the other hand did have the opportunity to go from fastpitch softball to then in my early thirties playing in a women's professional baseball League.
Played at baseball stadiums
Same field ucla.
Hit bp against men from farm leagues.

It is extremely obvious the downward trajectory of baseball pitches are all coming down into the strike zone.

I did not make any adjustment to
my rotational swing.
And cracked pitches in the air to the wall.

Three professional male baseball players that I have known. Took the time to have college sb pitcher throw to them and each one agreed there is a difference in the trajectory of the pitch. All three made adjustments in their swing. Two profoundly said starting with their hands higher made a big difference.
That feedback simply had to do with their swing styles.
Not a comment everyone needs to make an adjustment.

I do notice one of the posted comments disagreed with others as to which pitches had more downward trajectory.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Interestingly I on the other hand did have the opportunity to go from fastpitch softball to then in my early thirties playing in a women's professional baseball League.
Played at baseball stadiums
Same field ucla.
Hit bp against men from farm leagues.

It is extremely obvious the downward trajectory of baseball pitches are all coming down into the strike zone.

I did not make any adjustment to my level rotational swing.
And cracked pitches in the air to the wall.

Three professional male baseball players that I have known. Took the time to have college sb pitcher throw to them and each one agreed there is a difference in the trajectory of the pitch. All three made adjustments in their swing. Two profoundly said starting with their hands higher made a big difference.
That feedback simply had to do with their swing styles.
Not a comment everyone needs to make an adjustment.

I do notice one of the posted comments disagreed with others as to which pitches had more downward trajectory.
Sorry for my offtopic question, but curious RAD, do you think that the fastpitch Riseball rises from it's original trajectory before it reaches the plate?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
There are pitches that are released around the knee that end up at the plate higher, and lower.

How would you answer the same question?

Sorry for my offtopic question, but curious RAD, do you think that the fastpitch Riseball rises from it's original trajectory before it reaches the plate?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
There are pitches that are released around the knee that end up at the plate higher, and lower.

How would you answer the same question?
My answer is no, the riseball does not rise above the original trajectory of the pitch. It does not 'jump'. You had mentioned something about seeing pitches from behind the plate. So i was just curious your opinion on the fastpitch riseball since we were talking trajectories.

May 12, 2016
I disagree.. the trajectory of a good fastpitch pitcher is much flatter than a good baseball pitcher. Yes you have the odd submarine pitcher, even still not even close to a good rise ball. Typical issue baseball hitters have with a decent softball pitcher..

1589914845518.png

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My answer is no, the riseball does not rise above the original trajectory of the pitch.

It does not 'jump'. You had mentioned something about seeing pitches from behind the plate. So i was just curious your opinion on the fastpitch riseball since we were talking trajectories.
? what is that sentence ?
"the rise ball does not rise above the original trajectory of the pitch" your saying its released on a path that it stays on.....

Yes have seen lots of FP pitching from behind the plate.
Interesting a little BB too.
Also caught workouts with a couple neighborhood guys who threw in college and went on to miners and pro.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
? what is that sentence ?
"the rise ball does not rise above the original trajectory of the pitch"

Are you trying to say the pitcher releases the ball at her shoulder and the ball ends up at your shoulder? :)

* the pitcher releases the ball at their knee and can end up at your shoulder.

Does a riseball jump at the end of the pitch. Does the spin catch air and actually lift up from where it normally would have dropped? Does a riseball actually rise. I apologize to everyone for bringing this up again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes