For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have coached baseball at a very high level and for a very long time. I coached softball at a pretty high level and for a very long time. I have had a lot of success as a hitting coach. (Ok, so you have to have the kids with talent so take that last statement with a grain of salt.) I teach one swing. There is one swing. The difference then is how to adjust to what you are facing. Learning how the core works along with each person's perception of what they might consider ground reaction forces and what the hands do determines that adjustability.

I remember when my dd was very small, so many people said that she would not be successful because I was teaching her a baseball swing. One, who's dd washed out at an Ohio Valley Conference school, said that I was ruining her and the TB team that she was playing on. I believe in what I coach, one swing, and there are members of this site who have seen me do it first hand who can comment on the success of my hitters. (Again, I give the players the credit and I do my best to help them out.)
Nice read!
Gleened from it these points.
"The difference then is how to adjust to what your facing"
"What the hands do determines that adjustability"

Add, Think what adjustments made could be different for different mechanics.
*As we know not all swing mechanics are the same.
Some may do better with an adjustment.
Not all.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Nice read!
Gleened from it these points.
"The difference then is how to adjust to what your facing"
"What the hands do determines that adjustability"

Add, Think what adjustments made could be different for different mechanics.
*As we know not all swing mechanics are the same.
Some may do better with an adjustment.
Not all.

An additional note...Cannonball's DD with the "baseball" swing went on to set hitting records at her college, including HRs. That girl could hit! :)

Oct 26, 2019
@RADcatcher Baseball players grow up hitting a pretty good amount of underhand front toss. Simple reason being it is easier to do from close up like in a cage or in a smaller space. It is also easier to throw a lot of strikes and get quality swings in.

With that said does anyone ever throw two softball players over hand? I could see a benefit just getting them to learn adjustments. Especially for that kid who takes the same swing regardless of where the pitch is.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
@RADcatcher Baseball players grow up hitting a pretty good amount of underhand front toss. Simple reason being it is easier to do from close up like in a cage or in a smaller space. It is also easier to throw a lot of strikes and get quality swings in.

With that said does anyone ever throw two softball players over hand? I could see a benefit just getting them to learn adjustments. Especially for that kid who takes the same swing regardless of where the pitch is.

DD tends to be competitive. When she was younger she always wanted to play baseball with the boys in the development. She would have me throw overhand to her so that she could get used to the difference. Always took her a bucket or two to adjust to the angles.

Jun 8, 2016

I tend to throw overhand sitting down in a chair to my 5 YO son since I typically throw from about 15 feet or so and if I stood up the angle would be too steep. I do stand up and throw once in a while so I can get him used to a windup. He typically adjusts after a few pitches.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

Unfortunetly have seen dorky things...like coaches throwing overhand pitches...
And overhand dirt pitches to catchers...
Sheesh underhand please!
Spin, angle and how the ball bounces is different.

As a notation
I did not say there are baseball or fastpitch hitting mechanics!
Was simply pointing out that certain mechanics/bat path
used in bb
may need an adjustment
to perform better in sb !

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I tend to throw overhand sitting down in a chair to my 5 YO son since I typically throw from about 15 feet or so and if I stood up the angle would be too steep. I do stand up and throw once in a while so I can get him used to a windup. He typically adjusts after a few pitches.
There ya' go !! Pay attention to angle !!
NICE

radness

Dec 13, 2019
DD tends to be competitive.

When she was younger she always wanted to play baseball with the boys in the development. She would have me throw overhand to her so that she could get used to the difference. Always took her a bucket or two to adjust to the angles.
Good for her !!

May 12, 2016
I have coached baseball at a very high level and for a very long time. I coached softball at a pretty high level and for a very long time. I have had a lot of success as a hitting coach. (Ok, so you have to have the kids with talent so take that last statement with a grain of salt.) I teach one swing. There is one swing. The difference then is how to adjust to what you are facing. Learning how the core works along with each person's perception of what they might consider ground reaction forces and what the hands do determines that adjustability.

I remember when my dd was very small, so many people said that she would not be successful because I was teaching her a baseball swing. One, who's dd washed out at an Ohio Valley Conference school, said that I was ruining her and the TB team that she was playing on. I believe in what I coach, one swing, and there are members of this site who have seen me do it first hand who can comment on the success of my hitters. (Again, I give the players the credit and I do my best to help them out.)
I agree with this whole post.. but I think it's key to highlight what's in bold above. You do need to adjust, and it's not just Baseball vs Softball.. it really depends on you are facing on the mound.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A riseball may cross the plate at a higher elevation than it was released, but even a really good riseball spin cannot completely defeat the forces of gravity. A rising trajectory would mean that it curves upward - this doesn't happen. What can happen is that the brain is expecting the ball to fall at a certain rate, and when it doesn't, so the brain adjusts and gives the sensation that the ball "hopped" upward.
A good high 4 seam FB thrown at 99 mph can have the same effect but the different release point adds to the "sensation." Giddyup is a term used in BB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball