For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
? what is that sentence ?
"the rise ball does not rise above the original trajectory of the pitch" your saying its released on a path that it stays on.....

* the pitcher releases the ball at their knee and can end up at your shoulder or lower.

A riseball may cross the plate at a higher elevation than it was released, but even a really good riseball spin cannot completely defeat the forces of gravity. A rising trajectory would mean that it curves upward - this doesn't happen. What can happen is that the brain is expecting the ball to fall at a certain rate, and when it doesn't, so the brain adjusts and gives the sensation that the ball "hopped" upward.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
* nice to see you understand. and agree with the increase in elevation of a riseball!
Maybe
fanboi22 might want to have that discussion...

As far as this being a hitting thread about Pitch trajectory
it's pretty typical to start comparing to a rise ball when there's nothing like that in baseball .

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
In an interview with Mike Trout he was discussing impact angle. I believe this interview was for one of the bat sensor manufacturers. I will try to find the article later...

"Most pitches come in at a +5 or +6 degree downward angle. Even going back to Ted Williams, the goal was to stay in the hitting zone as long as possible. Having a downward swing, (negative angle) will put the batter at a heavy disadvantage. The best players have a slight upper cut, +10 to +12 degrees (a line drive swing)."

The attack angle for a FP player should be slightly flatter than this but still slightly up. Maybe 5 or 6 degrees instead of the 10 to 12 degrees that Trout prefers. Same mechanics with a slight adjustment in posture.
Nice read !

Apr 11, 2015
Would you consider a different approach to the ball or different bat path?

I'm asking this as I see people referencing in baseball discussions (or at least they appear to be about baseball swing discussions) lots of swing approach and bat path /angle conversations.
Great question, and honestly, with some of the discussion, and some of various things posted here recently, I started wondering the same thing myself, and if maybe I was given misinformation since 99% of my instruction was/is to BB players, with only a small number of FB players that I've worked with in the last few years (maybe a couple dozen or so).

Additionally the idea of a "rise ball" was never even thought about in any of my instruction until not too many years ago when some FP dads asked me about their DDs swings at a BB forum, and they brought it to my attention for the first time ("WUT!? It really rises?? 😲). But was told back then as I still thought was the case now...that FP is going to or has been the same swing as the BB swing, so continued to teach that.

But great question, and I'm curious to hear the rest of the responses.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
* nice to see you understand. and agree with the increase in elevation of a riseball!
Maybe
fanboi22 might want to have that discussion...

As far as this being a hitting thread about Pitch trajectory
it's pretty typical to start comparing to a rise ball when there's nothing like that in baseball .
Hopefully we can figure out how to have DD ready for this pitch.

- VSA Rachel Garcia Riseball Analysis

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Mudders Brudder,
Look forward to responses also!
Just brought it up as something to think/chat about is all. No underlying goal.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Escobedo - rise ball

XJMmUjI.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12