For All You I/R Pitching Junkies........

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2009
The pitch on the left is a straight drop. The one on the right is a back door curve ball.
On the drop, now she doesn't follow through or in this case fake the finish like she did back when that video was recorded.

Tht's what I see as well.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
7 3/4 Minutes of I/R Super Slo-Mo Men........Enjoy!

Noticed almost all of the pitchers have the glove hand and ball on the same side before pitch. I assume it is to hide the grip from the batter as long as possible. Any other advantages to this technique? My DD, like many girls, are taught the traditional wind-up where the glove and ball hand are separated on the back swing.

Aug 21, 2008
Most pitchers in the upper levels of men's fastpitch start with the heel of their glove hand on their hip with the opening of glove facing centerfield. This is to not only hide the ball and grip from the batter but also from coaches in 3rd and 1st base boxes who are trying to see the grip to warn the hitters. This is an aspect of the game this is GOING to become more and more important for female hitters as more and more male fastpitch guys get involved in the game. The guy at the 2:30 mark is a prime example. Although he negates all of it by dropping out of his glove and giving the hitter a "snap shot" of his grip and pitch.

Bill

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
It's only a matter of time.

If this will be the case in the future, why not teach our young pitchers this technique now and get them used to this style of pitching? I wonder if any velocity (momentum) is sacrificed with everything on the right side (rhp). Lastly, the guy at the 5:30 mark starts out with the ball straight up at 12 o'clock, I wonder if he is less effective than the other pitchers because he is "announcing" his grip to the wold?!

May 7, 2008
DFW
Socal,

I have converted all of my students to this method for a couple of reasons. One being my conversations with Bill about keeping the ball hidden as long as possible. The other is it improves the windmill motion. If a pitcher isnt talking that long backswing then she has less of a tendency to allow the ball hand to move outward or inward behind her. Both of which will affect the windmill motion and cause inconsistent delivery.

Some of my students have taken to it like a fish to water. Others dont like it. I think its in their best interest to learn to cradle the ball and hide it as long as possible instead of swinging it behind them adding unwanted motion to the mechanics of the pitch.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Socal,

I have converted all of my students to this method for a couple of reasons. One being my conversations with Bill about keeping the ball hidden as long as possible. The other is it improves the windmill motion. If a pitcher isnt talking that long backswing then she has less of a tendency to allow the ball hand to move outward or inward behind her. Both of which will affect the windmill motion and cause inconsistent delivery.

Some of my students have taken to it like a fish to water. Others dont like it. I think its in their best interest to learn to cradle the ball and hide it as long as possible instead of swinging it behind them adding unwanted motion to the mechanics of the pitch.

ifubuildit - Thanks for validating that I am not completely losing my mind! Just for fun, I will try it with my DD this weekend and see if she's the "fish"? At 8U, hiding the ball is not important but I want her to get into good pitching habits and mechanics at an early age. Less things to work on if and when she conitues down this pitching path. Have you seen any negatives to this method?

May 7, 2008
DFW
Socal,

Not with the new pitcher. With one who is established with their mechanics they sometimes struggle with keeping the ball in the glove. They tend to pull it out at the side and still do the back swing. It also tends to change the timing and rhythm a little when they first start working on it. They dont like the "Feel" of bringing that glove to the side and keeping the ball in it. After about 3-4 lessons it starts sinking in and they are right back to their normal pitching with timing and rhythm in place.

One of my cues I use is I tell the young ones to "Rock the baby" when they cradle the ball at the side. Seems they relate well to that one.

Dana.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA