Football drill and bullet spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
One big thing to remember with the football drill. It's NOT a speed drill. It is for helping the pitcher feel the whip and extension at the release point. The other thing I love about the football drill is it's self-reporting. There are no arguments if they are doing it right or wrong. The ball tells them everything. When it looks like it is floating through the air with the tip of the ball elevated in a tight spiral everything has been done correctly.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Yeah, I did have it wrong-Thanks!
Lemme know if I have this right (it's difficult reading and writing about physical stuff, especially from work with no ball to try it with 😀)

- Using a kid-sized ball (+/-8" tip-tip) hold the ball like you would normally to throw a spiral.
- Go through the usual windmill motion to release
- 12:00: palm facing 3B, 3:00: Palm up; then release at hip, throwing a spiral with the tip slightly elevated

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
I don't know if slightly elevated is accurate. The tip should point up about 45 degrees or more. The pitcher will also most likely have to lean back more than normal.

As has been said, this is a drill that targets a very specific part of the pitching motion. It shouldn't be done just to do (like all drills) and shouldn't been done any longer than necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom