Football drill and bullet spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
DD and I have been doing the football drill to help "unlock" the elbow and maximize her whip. In watching her pitch yesterday, her fastball had a bulletspin. Previously, she had a 12/6 - 1/7 spin. This could be just a coincidence but.....has anyone else experienced this?

In thinking about a correction, what would be recommended? I am thinking of the cue to "make sure your middle finger is last on the ball".

Jan 26, 2015
Football drill worked for my daughter. We always started overhand then underhand for feel. "Turn the knob " was the cue that got her to release and get the correct spin. Did take a few weeks.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
DD and I have been doing the football drill to help "unlock" the elbow and maximize her whip. In watching her pitch yesterday, her fastball had a bulletspin. Previously, she had a 12/6 - 1/7 spin. This could be just a coincidence but.....has anyone else experienced this?

In thinking about a correction, what would be recommended? I am thinking of the cue to "make sure your middle finger is last on the ball".

Check the position of her thumb before she starts her pitch. It should be directly in line with her middle finger.

Careful of cues...one of my pitchers started throwing bullet spin when she heard the cue of "turn the knob." What worked for her was "get the thumb a little more forward."

CP

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
The problem with the football is although it's great in unlocking the elbow... too much football tossing can result in the athlete carrying the ball beyond the bottom of the circle... as a football is a bit bulkier than a softball.

Not sure how 'open' she is while tossing... but it really helps many a kid to get at 45 (both feet), weight over the left foot, and right foot up on pointe... shoelaces of the foot facing catcher. This will put her rear leg in the throwing lane... so that she can think about catching the bottom of the circle, anticipating release with brush of the back part of the right thigh. The key is to anticipate an earlier release. Tell her to release at the back of the rear leg. Might throw a few worm burners... which is perfect. When throwing intobthe ground, make few wholesale changes. Slowly work your way up the ladder.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Can someone post a video of the football drill? I thought I understood it, but I dont think so. I thought it had something to do with throwing an underhand spiral...?

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
It's an underhand spiral. You might have noticed ball boys on the sidelines passing footballs to each other that way. It's makes it easier to see if the palm is facing up at 12 and when going down the back side. (football is sideways) It should result in a spiral throw with the tip of the football slightly elevated.

Jan 26, 2015
The problem with the football is although it's great in unlocking the elbow... too much football tossing can result in the athlete carrying the ball beyond the bottom of the circle... as a football is a bit bulkier than a softball.

Kids rubber football is what we used. Much smaller, better feedback and you can release at the back hip

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma