Fly Rule for a Dummy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
The umpire is your 1st clue:

The umpire is required to yell "Infield fly, if fair" and will typically raise one arm straight up to signal to everyone that the rule is in effect. If the umpire believes the catch is a sure thing, he can call the play as an infield fly and declare the batter out, even if the ball was not caught.

Incorrect.

May 29, 2015
@tamss13 ... are you satisfied with the answers provided?

I don’t want to confuse you further by adding anything unnecessary. Some of this stuff was good, some of it may have complicated it more, and some was just wrong.

May 29, 2015
The umpire is your 1st clue:

The umpire is required to yell "Infield fly, if fair" and will typically raise one arm straight up to signal to everyone that the rule is in effect. If the umpire believes the catch is a sure thing, he can call the play as an infield fly and declare the batter out, even if the ball was not caught.

The umpire is not your first clue. Your first clue is ”are there less than two outs”. Your second clue is “are there runners on first AND second base?” (You can have a runner on third also; that doesn’t matter.)

Umpires are not “required to yell ‘infield fly, if fair”. Infield fly rule is invoked when the situation is present, regardless of the umpires’ actions. Umpires should use the proper mechanic at the proper time, but failure to do so (brain fart, didn’t know better, felt it was not going to be an infield fly, etc.) does NOT negate the infield fly rule. It could be applied retroactively to correct this. (And THAT is why you should know it as a coach.)

You have the proper mechanic for an umpire to call it.

Your next part is ... iffy ... not right, but not exactly wrong. Infield fly is invoked on a fly ball which can be caught “with ordinary effort by an infielder”. Whether the umpire believes it will be caught or not is irrelevant. Whether the fielder even actually makes any effort is irrelevant. Infield fly rule is invoked by the situation, not what happens.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I tell my team there are 2 things to remember. One; if we are on offense and they drop the fly ball we stay on the base. Two; if we are defense and we drop the fly ball, if the other team doesn't know the rule and they run, we have to TAG the runners out because there are no force outs.

Aug 25, 2019
I always remember it as "Is there a force at 3rd with less than two outs" People keep saying "runners on 1st and 2nd, less than two outs". As obvious as it is, the most novice coach might take that to heart and be confused if bases loaded, he could say "Hey, bases were loaded, it wasn't just 1st and 2nd!)

May 29, 2015
Coach, was there a runner on first? Coach, was there a runner on second?

That's the logic my wife uses. "Honey, do you have a ten dollar bill so I can buy this widget? I have a twenty, but it is only $9." :cautious::rolleyes:

:p

Mar 28, 2020
No, not quite. The IFR only says that the batter is out. Beyond that, the normal rules apply.

So, the runner has to tag up before she advances *only* if the fielder catches the ball. If the fielder drops the ball, the runner does not have to tag up.

With a modest lead off, runners can easily advance on a dropped popup in softball if the IFR is called, especially if the infielder is on the grass.
But the batter is out no matter what.....caught or dropped.....correct??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619