Florida just set the bar even lower

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Like any other college coach it is only a matter of time before Walton crosses the wrong snowflake(s), is headed down the road and these kids are back on the market. Six years is a very long time to stay employed in the PC environment that is college sports.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Looking at my experience with my own DD who is a freshman I really think the early verbals are ridiculous. Of course they are only verbals so they are non binding so a lot can change. Walton is taking advantage of the system but at the same time he and other coaches are stuck doing it because everyone else does. I was talking with a PAC-12 coach about our girls in Orlando this fall while she was watching us. She said that pretty much everyone hates going after girls even ones in their freshman year like ours but you have to do it to keep up. Its a problem that has created a cycle that continues to feed itself because they can't quit and keep up.

DD always dreamed of playing at Auburn. She had always loved going down there for football and softball games. She had the opportunity to tour the campus during a camp her 7th grade year. Her thoughts totally changed. It wasn't a place she could see herself being a student. Last summer she started getting attention from a mid-major DI who came and watched her several times. She was invited to camp and loved the attention and was really excited the coach actually emailed her back a couple of times to thank her for coming and invite her back for another camp. After thinking about it she decided not to go back because while the school was great she didn't like the location. After a different camp last weekend her top 10 shuffled and picked up some new schools because she changed her mind on her future major thanks to an inspiring chat with a current player. I honestly do not think she could have made a good decision 3 years ago.

Jun 8, 2016
I think they should make a rule that if a kid hasn't taken algebra yet they aren't allowed to choose a college :rolleyes: Of course this may have some unintended consequences for the men's power 5 football and basketball programs but so be
it :p

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
i think they should make a rule that if a kid hasn't taken algebra yet they aren't allowed to choose a college :rolleyes: Of course this may have some unintended consequences for the men's power 5 football and basketball programs but so be
it :p

lmao!!....

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
"They signed Alexia up for T-Ball at age four and immediately noticed a passion for competition." I've read online that's where she was first noticed by the Florida talent scouts. (Between potty breaks and snacks)

Aug 26, 2015
I've met this kid. Worked beside her in cages for the past 6 or 7 months. She's different. Her mindset is one of a 16 year old at least. Her work ethic is undeniable. Her parents are not "those parents".

Don't like the rules? Fine. She's made a very wise decision for herself and her parents have supported that....and it's clear if you meet them in real life. Happy for her and for Tim Walton for scopping her up from the MANY suitors that have persued her for a while.

For those who think NOBODY could possibly know that young what they wanted to do, I knew at 9 what I wanted to do and persued it and I'm living it and loving it and ALL the people who told me I couldn't possibly know at that age are all eating crow. Is it rare? Yes it is. Is it likely? Nope. She is an anomoly though. Plain and simple.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Jun 26, 2015
I don't know anything about this young lady and I wish her nothing but good luck.

I am not comparing her to Wayne Gretzky, but he got the nickname "The Great One" at the age of 10 years old, and it stuck.

Some kids just have it at a young age and are able to keep advancing as they get older, some peak at a young age, some may have a slow and steady progression all the way through college.

I just hope she continues to love it and never let the pressure break her down.....we should all hope for that for every athlete.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've met this kid. Worked beside her in cages for the past 6 or 7 months. She's different. Her mindset is one of a 16 year old at least. Her work ethic is undeniable. Her parents are not "those parents".

Don't like the rules? Fine. She's made a very wise decision for herself and her parents have supported that....and it's clear if you meet them in real life. Happy for her and for Tim Walton for scopping her up from the MANY suitors that have persued her for a while.

For those who think NOBODY could possibly know that young what they wanted to do, I knew at 9 what I wanted to do and persued it and I'm living it and loving it and ALL the people who told me I couldn't possibly know at that age are all eating crow. Is it rare? Yes it is. Is it likely? Nope. She is an anomoly though. Plain and simple.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Thanks for contributing some real-world knowledge about the player. I sincerely hope she gets to live out her dreams, whether they remain the same or not.

That doesn't change my opinion that early recruiting/verbals are a mistake. In the case of a 6th grader - no matter how talented and mature she is - it's ridiculous.

Sep 6, 2015
Best of luck to her. To play for Florida she must be really good at leaning into and gettin hit by pitches.