CP Pitcher issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 20, 2011
Coaches,

I am the LL Manager of my son's CP Fall Ball baseball team (primarily 1st to 2nd graders with a young 3rd grader). I had an issue come up last night that I believe is also applicable to CP softball, and was wondering what you CP coaches, or past CP coaches, think. This is the conversation between myself and an Asst. Coach that started when I was taking the pitching circle to get ready to pitch to the kids:

Asst. Coach: Why are you pitching?
Me: I feel the Itch to Pitch (said humorously).
Asst. Coach: Dont you think you are being unfair to the kids? (Smiling in a supercilious way).
Me: No, I feel like pitching to the kids.
Asst. Coach: Its all about you then (Again smiling in a supercilious way).

Needless to say, I went up to the circle a bit PO'd and rattled. So instead of just having the weight of throwing good pitches to the kids, I also had the monkey of this coach on my back too. Fortunately, my kid was lead-off and knocked a Dbl (which shoulda been a Triple if he had run faster).

Background: Another Asst. Coach has been pitching to the kids for the past 5 games. The game previous to this one in question we had 8 K's. He also has been throwing very loopy balls to the kids. While I havent pitched in a game this season, I have been warming the kids up before games with Front toss using wiffle balls (and HitnStik) and also pitch at practices--so wasnt coming straight off the bench with these kids. I also believe in flatter pitches with a bit more speed. I struck out 4, so at least halved the Ks. I also had a contingency plan that after 2 innings if the kids were doing badly with me pitching to go back to the other coach. The kids were doing alright so I pitched the complete game.

In my previous outings as a coach in CP, I have been the main Pitcher, and if gone, another coach will pitch, sometimes with good results sometimes not. In the past, I have seen teams disintegrate if the regular coach is not pitching. I prefer to mix it up a bit, to have the kids get used to a style or two. So I guess my question to you all is: Do you all think it was "unfair" to the kids to expose them to a new pitcher (which I assume was my Asst. Coaches issue) or to mix it up a bit? My view is mix it up, as pretty soon in Minors, etc. the pitchers are going to be changing frequently, and the batters will need to adjust accordingly. Plus, who was to say that change was a bad thing, especially after 8 Ks the previous game. Any comments, insights, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

ACoachDad

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In CP we generally rotate our coaches through every inning unless they don't like to pitch to the kids. One coach may not make every game and the kids should get used to different looks. CP is all about development so the more different looks the kids can get better as far as I'm concerened.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
This is an interesting thread for those of us who do 8U Rec. I have been pitching for my 3 oldest DDs' 8U teams and as a rescue pitcher in 10U for about 4 years now. I've seen it all and heard plenty about my pitching from parents and coaches (usually positive but you always catch some blame for "striking out" the apple of their eye).

Because I tend to pitch back and forth between age groups I tend to throw a faster flatter ball. I also do this because it more closely simulates what they need to learn to hit. The coach that I'm currently coaching 8U with has done a lot of coach pitching as well but he throws a much slower, loopier flip change style (he's not pitched 10U rescue).

We've both needed to pitch this year and have been able to draw some conclusions and have observed that the better players will hit anyone but make better contact and hit for more power off of the flatter, faster pitches and the kids who we are trying to "hit the bat" are able to react better to the slower style. He is not good at throwing it one way and I'm not good at throwing the others.

So, we've actually decided to split up the CP duties during the game, basically splitting the lineup in half and rotating from CP to 3Bcoach. It will be an interesting experiment. It would be easy for me to say that they need to be able to hit the faster pitches but ultimately the job during the game is for them to have fun and they do that by putting it in play and building confidence in their ability. We both have had to swallow our pride a little with this because we both enjoy pitching and the connection that you have with each batter when you are pitching to them in a game.

Mix it up, the players will be better off down the road. Ultimately, they aren't learning to play slowpitch so they will need to adapt to faster tempo but whatever helps them put the ball in play and build confidence during the game is what's best.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our League had what might be a unique CP rule where the umpire still called balls and strikes. The batter could not walk but the batter would not be penalized for bad pitches, unless they swung of course.

I asked DD if she cared who pitched and she said she did not. We kind of rotated 3 CPs and she learned what each was bringing to the table. 1 threw a little hard, 1 threw a little soft, I aimed for their bat so they not have to swing.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Who knew that there was an issue with who is the #1 pitcher on a coach pitch team. I suppose the other coach's wife is unhappy that he was not put in to play shortstop when he was taken of the mound.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
For rescue pitching in 10U we also have the umpire call ball and strikes. Other leagues would say that it slows down the game but it sure does take the pressure off of the old man when you bounce one in there to a good hitter!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
For rescue pitching in 10U we also have the umpire call ball and strikes. Other leagues would say that it slows down the game but it sure does take the pressure off of the old man when you bounce one in there to a good hitter!

Our town rec league is -
6U we do no score - coach pitch for 5 pitches, tee if they don't hit coach pitch.
8U kid pitch, coach takes over on "ball 4" get's as many pitches as batter has stikes left. every coach pitch a stike. I think I lead the league in hit batters and stikeouts my first year, sometimes on the same pitch :(. I have gotten much better though.
10U all kid pitch. The walk fests can be maddening.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Must be interesting Sweet Lou. We don't start kid pitch until 10U in our area which is why we still use rescue pitch at that age. In 8U coach gets five pitches which gives you something to work with (although my best hitter stares at the 1st 3 regardless of what they are, must like to see me sweat)

We played a couple of parks this fall that did the every CP a strike thing, just doesn't seem to fair to the kids.

May 25, 2010
Who knew that there was an issue with who is the #1 pitcher on a coach pitch team. I suppose the other coach's wife is unhappy that he was not put in to play shortstop when he was taken of the mound.

#1 pitcher in CP is the one whose family owns the pole barn, no question.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles