Fix This Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2014
I've had so much useful feedback in the pitching section i figured id give the hitting section a shot too. We worked on my 8 year old DDs swing in Teeball, didnt mess with it much in 8U but now in 10U i think its time to go back and refine those mechanics. She always leads the team in batting average and homeruns but is starting to struggle keeping up with the better 10 year old pitchers throwing heat then following it up with offspead pitchers. She finishes her swing flat and cuts under alot of balls so when she doesnt catch it square its a pop up to left. A few questions:

1. Any good drills to work on follow through and finish?

2. Any good drills to keep her from leaning back instead of rotating back?

3. Any feedback on the swing not mentioned?

In advance, thanks.

[video=youtube_share;zXh_Gk6Q6Ek]http://youtu.be/zXh_Gk6Q6Ek[/video]
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zXh_Gk6Q6Ek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mar 31, 2014
In classic DD form she said since nobody has a suggestion, it must be perfect..............haha, now her heads swollen, thanks.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think part of the reason you're not getting responses has to do with the fact that she's young and will progress. I think she's off to a good start. Just keep frequenting this site and process the rich hitting stuff that is here and you'll get her there.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see a DBSF* swing pattern, which is typical for girls in this age group. She drops her hands and levels the bat behind her, and then swings the bat forward with her arms. Some girls are successful at a young age based purely on their strength and athleticism, but as pitching gets faster, they find it harder to make consistent contact. Thankfully, there is an answer...

Learn to TURN THE BARREL!

There are LOTS of threads about it. Spend some time reading and learning. Enjoy the ride! :)

*Drop the Barrel and Swing Flat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi