First time lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2012
GD is going to have first lesson with private coach today. Coach has good redputation locally. What should we look for? Is compatability (is that a word?) all to look for at first. She will be taking hitting/pitching lessons. We have opportunity to go to another coach with same credentials. I guess we are kind of coach shopping. Thanks for any info.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You need to give it a few lessons, first impressions are important but give it a little time. You need to define your goals to the instructor. Are you looking to be better next week or next year?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
mm'spapa,
Learn as much about the proper swing as you can,so you can/will be a good judge of which coach or the coach is on the same page as what you think a good swing should be.If you have or haven't search the Megan1-tee started by Immortal1.This thread will give you a great idea of what the coach should be teaching.It will help you decide.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Read above, there are words that are red flags and if you hear any of them find a new coach. That is why it is important that anyone taking a kid to a lesson , at least read and try to understand some of the posting on here.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
SBFAMILY,
DD was away for the weekend.So dear old dad had no one to practice with.I went back to the very first post on the Tech.Hitting forum and read every post on the forum.I also printed out and highlighted what I thought was usefull.Alot of great info from Howard and others.Questions I had about the Big zone and how it was used was there.Also other things that posters discuss is there for the reading.So if someone has a spare weekend I would suggest going back and read some of the older posts.I have discovered that alot of the posters back then knew the sequence and what works best know.I also found out who Mark Hanson was and how he studied video and how it showed what a hitter should be doing.The Hanson Principle.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
As others have said, studying up on proper mechanics and looking for compatibility are both good ideas. I would also ask a lot of questions and make the coach explain his/her reasoning behind the things he/she is teaching. Pitching and hitting mechanics can be complicated, but when broken down and explained the principles should make sense. If something doesn't make sense to you, it could be a red flag.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
as others have said, studying up on proper mechanics and looking for compatibility are both good ideas. I would also ask a lot of questions and make the coach explain his/her reasoning behind the things he/she is teaching. Pitching and hitting mechanics can be complicated, but when broken down and explained the principles should make sense. If something doesn't make sense to you, it could be a red flag.

ditto!!!!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Watch video of the successful pitchers or hitters. If the coach is teaching something that the successful pitchers, or hitters are not doing. Move on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez