First season travel ball player need swing help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
My dd started TB for the first time in February, she played a few seasons of Rec ball before that. So she's not had any good hitting instruction till this season. Even this season it's been all over the map, everyone seems to tell her something different. She's left handed but throws righty, hits both, but was told by TB coach to stick with one side so she can get better. She picked left but some days she hits better righty. She makes contact but ball usually just makes it out of infield. She's a big girl so I know she has power to get it further. She's a pitcher so most of our practice time is spent pitching. We need to work on her hitting but I'm not sure where to start, I've been reading about hitting but there are some many different opinions on hitting I'm a bit confused. Here's a video from practice tonight.
https://www.coachseye.com/v/mIOp

https://www.coachseye.com/v/2VOf

Pick her apart we can take it! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
She doesn't look bad until contact. First, she is reaching for the ball. Needs a deeper contact point—just inside the front foot for that pitch maybe. But worse than that it appears she is just trying to make contact, trying more not to miss than throwing the bat through the ball.

Finishing the swing is what she needs here.

Always try to send more than one or two swings; even if you have to post several links. And since you mentioned she's a switch hitter you need to post that side also.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
zwdto8.gif

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I noticed the reaching or I think I called it, not waiting for the ball to get there. (Same thing right?) I'm glad you said that about her not wanting to miss the ball! I was wondering why her swing looked so slow, that's what she's doing, she's making sure she makes contact. ok and finishing her swing, she's actually got worse with not finishing she used to somewhat finish but her hand would come off the bat, my husband and I would harp on her to keep both hands on the bat (not sure if that's right or wrong) she doesn't finish now, but she keeps both hands on the bat.
I'll post some more video, the only video I have hitting righty is from behind but I'll get more tomorrow.

https://www.coachseye.com/v/NnZY

Thank you!!

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Some of the best hitters, Miguel Cabrera for example let the top hand drop off the bat so if she's getting a better follow through then by all means let her drop a hand off.

Oct 25, 2009
I noticed the reaching or I think I called it, not waiting for the ball to get there. (Same thing right?) I'm glad you said that about her not wanting to miss the ball! I was wondering why her swing looked so slow, that's what she's doing, she's making sure she makes contact. ok and finishing her swing, she's actually got worse with not finishing she used to somewhat finish but her hand would come off the bat, my husband and I would harp on her to keep both hands on the bat (not sure if that's right or wrong) she doesn't finish now, but she keeps both hands on the bat.
I'll post some more video, the only video I have hitting righty is from behind but I'll get more tomorrow.

https://www.coachseye.com/v/NnZY

Thank you!!

Never be afraid to miss! If you miss, miss big! If she doesn't take a risk swinging at the ball she is taking a risk sitting the bench. Especially if she's a pitcher. Pitchers have to work harder if they want to be a batter.

Top hand sliding off the bat after contact isn't a bad thing.

Aug 17, 2015
Good start!

I think she is going to be a great hitter! There are a few things I noticed...

1. Hips/Hands - she is leading with her hips but isn't quickly following with her hands so she isn't capitalizing on the hips/hands whipping power.
  2. Her contact point is too far out from the plate. Her arms should have a slight bend in them (see picture) at contact point. Then this is when your arm strength comes to finish and extend arms out fully through the ball.
  3. It looks like she is stopping at point of contact versus finishing strong - may be due to contact point (previous bullet).

She is opening her front foot nice and planting a straight front leg as her anchor. She does well on eye on the ball as well! If you get a hitting coach, make sure they are a teacher....she needs to understand why she is doing what is being asked of her versus "I do it because coach Joe told me so." That helps her understand mechanics and do self-correction. For example, you plant the front foot at a 45 degree angle for both balance and ability to fully rotate your hips.

Hope that helps! God bless! Coach Jim

Batting.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think she is going to be a great hitter! There are a few things I noticed...

Hips/Hands - she is leading with her hips but isn't quickly following with her hands so she isn't capitalizing on the hips/hands whipping power.

Bingo!

That is why I started the clip segment with the rear hip fully turned forward, and yet the barrel still back ... ... ... to emphasize this.

Despite "leading with the hips", this is an "arm swing". The swing lacks lower/upper synchronization.

2uh1dsh.gif

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Thanks guys! Practice got rained out, she did some tee work (I forgot to video but will do tonight) her tee hitting looked much better then live hitting, I thought. Your feedback helps very much! I never would have been able to pick out some of these flaws in her swing. I don't know as much about hitting! Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028