First Eureka Moment!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
I made a discovery last night with my daughter while outside playing catch and talking.

So last night we were in the yard playing catch just talking not really doing any drills or anything. (I do stress to her that when we play catch, even though its not serious time, she should really concentrate on making mechanically correct throws.)

One problem my daughter and I think a lot of girls have is her glove hand/arm is pretty much inactive when she throws. It just hangs to her side and doesn't provide any tangible benefit to her throwing mechanics.

Anyhow, when we play catch I keep a ball in my glove and throw one to my daughter and then transfer from glove to hand to receive the throw back. I am sure many of you pitchers dads do the same when practicing with your pitchers.

Well, at one point my daughter ended up with both balls instead of me and something amazing happened.

When she threw the ball back to me while still holding a ball in her glove her glove arm became an active participant in the throwing motion and instead of just hanging off to her side she actually drew it in as she rotated to throw and I never even said a word to her!! Her throws looked 10 times better while doing this. At one point she asked if I wanted my other ball back and I just smiled and said no, you keep it! Finally, after a couple of minutes I stopped her and told her what I was seeing and then we continued on. Didn't want to waste a good moment!

Can anyone duplicate these results? I think the ball in the glove activates something in the mind and body to keep that glove hand higher, internally rotated and automatically causes a tuck in as she throws. I believe it is happening because she simply doesn't want to drop the ball as she throws? I don't know, but the effect was immediate and profound for my daughter and I noticed it immediately.

If any of you have a child that drops their glove hand to their side while throwing, can you try and duplicate these results? Some of you may have already known this, but I sort of stumbled on to it by accident.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish