First day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
First day of trying to see how things go with DD playing catch.

Did lock it in, 9 O'clock. Then catch. Excuse my terrible throw lol.

Nov 8, 2018
First day of trying to see how things go with DD playing catch.

Did lock it in, 9 O'clock. Then catch. Excuse my terrible throw lol.

Let that arm release. Relax after release.
Also if you’re playing catch have her face you and take a relaxed step and relaxed underhand throw with ir. It shouldn’t be so formal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2017
Let that arm release. Relax after release.
Also if you’re playing catch have her face you and take a relaxed step and relaxed underhand throw with ir. It shouldn’t be so formal.

I pointed that out about being relaxed and just let her arm go through.

I've also explained to her that right now we are not concerned with throwing hard or accuracy, but to try and completely relax and be loose.

Will keep that in mind about the stance when playing catch. I had her do that because that's how Board member says to be in the lock in drill etc.

Nov 8, 2018
I pointed that out about being relaxed and just let her arm go through.

I've also explained to her that right now we are not concerned with throwing hard or accuracy, but to try and completely relax and be loose.

Will keep that in mind about the stance when playing catch. I had her do that because that's how Board member says to be in the lock in drill etc.

For lock in yes. Stationary 9 o’clock yes. Catch? Just step straight and throw. The body will turn naturally. Let that arm whip thru. Relaxed. That’s key.

Apr 12, 2015
She looks great, actually.

If she is just starting to learn how to throw underhand, forget the stance and all that jazz for now. In fact, for the first week or two I'd suggest she field a ball then throw it in underhand, just like she would doing regular infield drills.

For example, have her at 2nd base, roll her a grounder, she fields it, turns and throws it to first, just like she would in a game. Only she throws it underhand instead of overhand.

The reason for this is to get her mind off things and letting her body do what it wants to do naturally. She'll pick up underhand throwing much faster this way. Once she has it pretty comfortable, then you can move into the pitching positions.

There are things she needs to work on. For example she has zero whip action right now. But that is because she is so tight and, as someone mentioned above, "formal". Give the fielding a try. I'm betting you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Some other basic pointers:
1. Keep it fun and laugh....a lot.
2. Instruct maybe once every 5 throws. Any more than that and she'll just learn to tune you out.
3. Its a marathon. Remind yourself of that...often.

Oct 2, 2017
She looks great, actually.

If she is just starting to learn how to throw underhand, forget the stance and all that jazz for now. In fact, for the first week or two I'd suggest she field a ball then throw it in underhand, just like she would doing regular infield drills.

For example, have her at 2nd base, roll her a grounder, she fields it, turns and throws it to first, just like she would in a game. Only she throws it underhand instead of overhand.

The reason for this is to get her mind off things and letting her body do what it wants to do naturally. She'll pick up underhand throwing much faster this way. Once she has it pretty comfortable, then you can move into the pitching positions.

There are things she needs to work on. For example she has zero whip action right now. But that is because she is so tight and, as someone mentioned above, "formal". Give the fielding a try. I'm betting you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Some other basic pointers:
1. Keep it fun and laugh....a lot.
2. Instruct maybe once every 5 throws. Any more than that and she'll just learn to tune you out.
3. Its a marathon. Remind yourself of that...often.

Thanks for tips, Fielding and throwing underhand is a interesting way of doing it.

May 9, 2019
The only one feedback I can give right now since she's so new, is to just make sure she lets her arm follow through. Arm needs to be relaxed all the way through. I think others have already mentioned that though.

She's looking great already though. Keep working!

Oct 2, 2017
The only one feedback I can give right now since she's so new, is to just make sure she lets her arm follow through. Arm needs to be relaxed all the way through. I think others have already mentioned that though.

She's looking great already though. Keep working!

I will certainly try to reinforce the idea of Arm follow through, that the only way that can happen is being loose. She had a lot of fun doing the catch portion yesterday more so than the other drills.

May 9, 2019
I will certainly try to reinforce the idea of Arm follow through, that the only way that can happen is being loose. She had a lot of fun doing the catch portion yesterday more so than the other drills.

One other thing I forgot to add. You mentioned you're not stressing throwing hard. I would suggest that while it is important to stay relaxed and not "over do it" you should try to have her try to feel the whip. By that, I mean be smooth, relaxed, but try to be explosive on the release.

Since I know your DD is a good hitter, I would also suggest you explain to her that pitching is very much like hitting (something I got from Hillhouse). Smooth, relaxed, but be explosive. Negative movement to positive movement. Use the legs and hips, not as much arms. etc etc.

Oct 2, 2017
One other thing I forgot to add. You mentioned you're not stressing throwing hard. I would suggest that while it is important to stay relaxed and not "over do it" you should try to have her try to feel the whip. By that, I mean be smooth, relaxed, but try to be explosive on the release.

Since I know your DD is a good hitter, I would also suggest you explain to her that pitching is very much like hitting (something I got from Hillhouse). Smooth, relaxed, but be explosive. Negative movement to positive movement. Use the legs and hips, not as much arms. etc etc.

Thanks for the tip, Its a learning experience for me and her. Putting it in hitting terms is a way I understand better, concerning relaxed, smoot explosive. I've watched some of hillhouse and others, and they speak of using the lower half as the power source. The upper half (Arms) are there to assist the lower half. Like when you squat to jump high, the legs are the power source but the arms also help assist that explosiveness.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13