First baseman's position on pickoffs from catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
What is the rule for first setting up in foul territory? Do they need to keep one foot or both in the field of play? I have seen umpires tell a girl she is out of play if she has one foot in foul territory and one foot on the foul line. For that matter, my son was told the same thing at 3rd during a pick off attempt and his right foot was in foul territory.

Yes, all players (except the catcher) have to be in fair territory at start of play. 1B should assume their normal position and then return to the base to position themselves for a potential pick off attempt on every pitch not put in play. Runners at first are particularly susceptible to a pick off w/ a runner on 2B or runners on 2B and 3B. I especially don't want the firstbaseman's back turned from the field in the later situation.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Candrea has the 1st baseman, receive the ball and swipe glove side. Yes, back is turned to 2nd. I played there all of my career and was taught to receive the ball, cover the glove with my bare hand, and face second base. BUT, we were more likely to be able to block the base or at least get our knees down.

I think now, coaches want their players to stay on their feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45