First baseman's position on pickoffs from catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
RF Fence and a drop step with the left foot. The second baseman should be watching for the delayed steal on the throw down to first.

If you have back towards second and the throw is behind the first baseman the ball could end up in right field.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If you have back towards second and the throw is behind the first baseman the ball could end up in right field.

Hadn't thought of that.

Although could I not argue that the fielder would not have her back to second until she read the throw? Kinda like taking a cutoff. You want the ball to your glove side, but you don't move sideways until you are confident that it's going there. Wouldn't the player w/ back to RF fence be further away from a throw that might go into RF? That is if she's trying to make the tag at the base.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I prefer them stand facing the catcher about two feet inside the baseline just in front of the bag. Let the throw dictate which way she turns, but I like the throw to come glove-side so they turn glove-side to make tag

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I prefer them stand facing the catcher about two feet inside the baseline just in front of the bag. Let the throw dictate which way she turns, but I like the throw to come glove-side so they turn glove-side to make tag

That makes me think. ... A runner diving back doesn't have the same ability to have her body avoid the tag the way a base-stealer would (ie, hook slide) because it's a bang-bang play. Therefore, the need to make the tag right at the base is not as imperative. Is that fair? If that's somewhat the case, then the catcher should not worry about making a pin point throw. Rather, she just needs to release quickly and keep the ball kinda low, basically throw right at the first baseman (not the bag, per se) and the first baseman can position herself to the throw to make the tag at the quickest point on the base path, whether that's 3 inches or 3 feet from the actual bag. And as you said, the baseman can face the catcher and go left or right, whichever feels best.

How does that theory sound?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
should first baseman have back toward second base,
We had a first baseman who did the exact same thing. I showed her that when doing this she lost sight of the base runner. So, I said do what you normally do and I will show you what will/can happen. Runner takes lead,catcher throws down, first base turns back to second base,catcher throws ball, catches ball goes to make tag but, the runners at second. If first baseman faces second base or catcher this couldn't/wouldn't happen.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
That makes me think. ... A runner diving back doesn't have the same ability to have her body avoid the tag the way a base-stealer would (ie, hook slide) because it's a bang-bang play. Therefore, the need to make the tag right at the base is not as imperative. Is that fair? If that's somewhat the case, then the catcher should not worry about making a pin point throw. Rather, she just needs to release quickly and keep the ball kinda low, basically throw right at the first baseman (not the bag, per se) and the first baseman can position herself to the throw to make the tag at the quickest point on the base path, whether that's 3 inches or 3 feet from the actual bag. And as you said, the baseman can face the catcher and go left or right, whichever feels best.

How does that theory sound?

I think it sounds like a sound theory.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
As far as coverage positioning for a RH throwing 1B, my preference is to have them take an extra step and set up in foul territory (w/ their back toward the RF foul line fence) so that they don't have to turn their back and lose sight of the runner. But, regardless of set up, the 1B and ALL other IFers need to be taught to wait for the throw at the bag and bring the tag straight down rather than reach forward toward the plate then swipe back, which is far slower.

Runners diving back to first on a pick off attempt should be taught to go for the OF side of the bag to make the tag more difficult.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
As far as coverage positioning for a RH throwing 1B, my preference is to have them take an extra step and set up in foul territory (w/ their back toward the RF foul line fence) so that they don't have to turn their back and lose sight of the runner. But, regardless of set up, the 1B and ALL other IFers need to be taught to wait for the throw at the bag and bring the tag straight down rather than reach forward toward the plate then swipe back, which is far slower.

Runners diving back to first on a pick off attempt should be taught to go for the OF side of the bag to make the tag more difficult.

What is the rule for first setting up in foul territory? Do they need to keep one foot or both in the field of play? I have seen umpires tell a girl she is out of play if she has one foot in foul territory and one foot on the foul line. For that matter, my son was told the same thing at 3rd during a pick off attempt and his right foot was in foul territory.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Baseball does not allow a player to set up in foul territory. Since we don't take leads off the base, we live with different circumstances.

I'm with Doug and CB on positioning for righties. For RH, I want 1B even with the front of the bag and the tag applied low, as the fielder pivots around on her left foot to "find" the play. Other infielders communicate if the runner leaves for second, with SS usually covering second base. if catch up next pour throw to backhand decide, I prefer she simply follow the ball and make the best tag possible from the other direction.

Lefties set up with both feet on the first base line at the front edge of the bag, or with right foot along edge of bag and left foot slightly staggered out of bounds.

RF is backing up 1st. 2b also moves toward 1st (behind). LF backs up 2nd base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles