Finishing the pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
One thing I wanted to ask...while we are in our last break from pitching before gearing up again...is HOW do you describe "finishing the pitch" to your dd and/or students. I had a poster give me some cues and find them helpful. What are your cues/wording etc?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
'Follow through'??

One thing I wanted to ask...while we are in our last break from pitching before gearing up again...is HOW do you describe "finishing the pitch" to your dd and/or students. I had a poster give me some cues and find them helpful. What are your cues/wording etc?

Once the hand opens and the ball is released, the 'Pitch' is completed and the 'Delivery' is in progress, as far as the ball is concerned. What the throwing arm does after the ball is released is called 'The follow through'.

Are you referring to the follow through when you say 'Finishing the pitch'????

Depending on the particular movement pitch you are throwing, the follow through can vary a great deal depending on how you are taught.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I am referring to the actions from elbow slotted (5 oclock or so)... thru release. Let me try to word it this way. What are some of the metaphors or descriptions people use describe/explain the arm whip actions. Telling young females about arm whip that are not familiar with the term can get far away look at times...so I would think people have to be explaining it in different ways.

BTW Hal...thanks for the post on the glove side!

Jul 26, 2010
Describing things isn't the best way to teach young ladies. Showing them and then having them do it so they feel it works better.

Mike White showed a lot of high speed video of great pitchers recently. Many of you may have seen the high speed of Uneo pitching in the model pitchers thread. Many people comment how her arm seems to flop a bit and extend straight out before the follow through. The truth is this happens with ALL pitchers with good arm whip. You can tell them to follow through with a hello elbow, or to the opsite shoulder, or to reach around and pull their socks up. It doesn't matter, because the arm will extend straight out first, this is the natural part of the arm whip.

He demonstrated a drill to help pitchers who "stop short" with a pitch, or have changupitus as I like to call it. Have them stand facing a net. Have them pitch into the net. After they pitch, immediately have them reach out and grab the net where the ball hit. This should get them to "finish" the pitch.

-W

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I demonstrate personally how to finish a pitch. Then I have them face me and use me as sort of a mirror to get it. I have had pretty good success with it.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I use practice to show them through demonstration and repetition and agree with the last few posters on this point. But in a game time situation I use the term "finihs the drill" in the distance is I feel my players are not finishing. I have explained to each of them what I mean when I say this to them in a game. I was not sure what you were looking for here in an answer.

Oct 22, 2009
Like the net drill above, I use a fence or have them use a wall at home with something soft like socks or a nerf ball.
Stand in a release position, release the ball, reach to the wall or fence.

Outside throwing to a catcher, I get them to release then hold out their arm and watch the ball till it hits the catchers mitt, then they let it back down.
I use this one for the ones that jerk their arm quickly back down.
If the catcher doesn't see their arm up, the pitcher gets a grounder back to her, follow through present, the ball gets tossed back. They hate grounders.

Jan 27, 2010
Merry Christmas to all you crazy dads, moms, and DDs. Hope all have a wonderful upcoming softball season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish