Finally pitching a 12 inch ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2019
Here's a video from behind of my DD pitching high and inside to hit the ball off the tee. Finally practicing with the 12 inch ball after her last 10u tournament. Wait until the end, the frustration in just missing the ball is hilarious in slow motion. (She will hate me for posting this video one day, but I will take my chance.)

But seriously, please critique. One month new to IR and trying to locate pitches. Should I be worried that her left foot is off the powerline on the wrong side? I think she has pretty good mechanics. Definitely things she needs to work on. Old habits she is trying to break. Also, is she "monkey-butting" or whatever it is called? Is she supposed to be straighter and not leaning? New to IR and the forum so any help would be appreciated.

Nov 8, 2018
IMG_3753.jpg

So here you can see a straight right arm. You want to be bent at 9 and at release. Also look at the left arm way out left to counter her body lean right and the right foot comes behind to balance as well. That coming from jumping left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
IMG_3754.jpg

Not terrible contact point of elbow. That’s Big. But notice how straight the arm is at contact. And because of that there isn’t a lot of brush there. But it’s a start. Check out her body lean. Head trying to stay on power line but left foot off to the left.

Nov 8, 2018
IMG_3755.jpg

Decent internal rotation and probation here. Could work harder to the middle with her hand and wrist. But with the arm so straight that’s hard to do. When she keeps it bent she can work to the stomach more. But ball looks to roll off hand pretty good. That’s a start.

Nov 8, 2018
IMG_3756.jpg

And your classic I can’t believe I missed it look. Similar to my daughter when she lays one In There and the ump calls it a ball. Lol. Classic.

Jun 8, 2019
View attachment 14691

And your classic I can’t believe I missed it look. Similar to my daughter when she lays one In There and the ump calls it a ball. Lol. Classic.

Hahaha! I love that video just for the last part. We couldn't stop laughing. Thanks for all the tips though! I showed them to her. The straight arm is a habit that we are trying to break. Definitely a work in progress. She sometimes forces the IR instead of letting it come naturally. Straight arm is a habit that was taught with the HE. I totally do not know what that lean is about. Or maybe never noticed it. Also thank you for pointing out her left arm. Is that what you would consider a "swimming glove arm?"

Sep 29, 2014
DrR is IMHO nitpicking but for a reason she is well on her way and looks pretty good so nothing left do to but nitpick...so let start.

First side video would help too next time but working with what we have.

I could go into long reasoning but the short of it is yes try and start in the middle of the pitching plate and stay straight it is not too bad really but straighter the better.

Definitely no monkey butt here she does have a little lean but again it's not terrible but straighter the better and some of that is compensation for being too far to the left.

The side view would show as a little better the arm circle and how straight the arm is but on the super plus side she is palm up which is awesome if she comes from HE style.

As far as the glove arm it is swimming but this is not a "MUST" there is a little bit of style...the must only comes into play if the glove swim is causing other mechanical break down issues which it does not appear to be

For now I would try and just straighten things up a little bit as far as the drive and lean.
Then I would look at the arm at 9 o'clock, side view video, and verify it's locked straight it doesn't look striaght at 12 so work on keeping that bend thru the rest of the circle.

If you can find a side view for us that would be great....

And let me reiterate there is a whole lot going right here and if she is just now 12 she has a bright future.

Next drill try this use a basketball on the tee about belt to knees height, let her have fun with it for a while she should be getting to point where it doesn't take to many pitches to hit it...keep playing that game for a few months...then let her in on the secret our goal is to now throw strikes without hitting the ball ;)

Nov 8, 2018
Hahaha! I love that video just for the last part. We couldn't stop laughing. Thanks for all the tips though! I showed them to her. The straight arm is a habit that we are trying to break. Definitely a work in progress. She sometimes forces the IR instead of letting it come naturally. Straight arm is a habit that was taught with the HE. I totally do not know what that lean is about. Or maybe never noticed it. Also thank you for pointing out her left arm. Is that what you would consider a "swimming glove arm?"

Left arm swim yes.

Work on left foot landing on the power line and that may get that lean to go away. However , it may also change her arm circle etc. just be aware. For example. When my dd was monkey butting I would say bro g your hip to your arm. Well, she had to smash her arm into her hip several times till she repositioned her arm. Lol. It’s a process.

Jun 8, 2019
DrR is IMHO nitpicking but for a reason she is well on her way and looks pretty good so nothing left do to but nitpick...so let start.

First side video would help too next time but working with what we have.

I could go into long reasoning but the short of it is yes try and start in the middle of the pitching plate and stay straight it is not too bad really but straighter the better.

Definitely no monkey butt here she does have a little lean but again it's not terrible but straighter the better and some of that is compensation for being too far to the left.

The side view would show as a little better the arm circle and how straight the arm is but on the super plus side she is palm up which is awesome if she comes from HE style.

As far as the glove arm it is swimming but this is not a "MUST" there is a little bit of style...the must only comes into play if the glove swim is causing other mechanical break down issues which it does not appear to be

For now I would try and just straighten things up a little bit as far as the drive and lean.
Then I would look at the arm at 9 o'clock, side view video, and verify it's locked straight it doesn't look striaght at 12 so work on keeping that bend thru the rest of the circle.

If you can find a side view for us that would be great....

And let me reiterate there is a whole lot going right here and if she is just now 12 she has a bright future.

Next drill try this use a basketball on the tee about belt to knees height, let her have fun with it for a while she should be getting to point where it doesn't take to many pitches to hit it...keep playing that game for a few months...then let her in on the secret our goal is to now throw strikes without hitting the ball ;)
Thanks for all the pointers! I do love the nit picking because it helps her focus on what she needs to do. I do have a video of her but this was the earlier stages of learning IR, so you will see her hand behind the ball at an earlier point. Definitely straight arm.

But thank you for all the positivity on her mechanics too! It is encouraging to know that she is on the right track. She is also 11 years old and not turning 12 until next March. So it really is good to hear that she has potential for her age.

Here is the video:

Sep 29, 2014
Actually this side video is great shows how she is progressing, she has gotten rid of the heel drag open during drive and is more palm up at 9 all good stuff. Keep working at it....my two cents I wouldn't worry about the glove swim now since it doesn't appear to be impacting much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck