Fielding Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
I am looking for some fielding advice from coaches or umpires in regards to tagging a runner. We teach our middle infielders that if runners are on 1st or 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs and a ground ball is to her, she is to tag the runner and then throw the ball to closest bag. If she cannot make the tag, throw the ball to the base to get the lead runner. However, several times this season umpires have missed the tag. It happened again yesterday in the championship game. Runners were on 1st and 2nd with 1 out and the ball was hit to 2B. She fielded the ball, tagged the runner and threw the ball to 1st for a double play. The team cheered and began to walk off the field. Their 1st base coach even started walking toward his dugout. We quickly realized that the umpire did not call the runner out and were able to prevent the runner that began on 2nd from scoring. We called time and asked the field umpire for help. The home plate umpire stated that he could not see if she made the tag. So the play stood. I then brought our girls in and told them to make sure of the tag. As I walked to the dugout, the field umpire warned me about flagrant or aggressive tags. I nicely reminded him of his eye appointment on Monday morning (under my breath). Actually I just kept walking to the dugout. Like I said we have had this call go against us several times but it has happened to other teams in other games. Most misses seem to happen when the umpire is between 2nd and 3rd. Looking for any advice or techniques to teach my infielders to ensure the lead out or double play. By the way, both the runner and the coach later told me that 2B did make the tag.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Told my DD to sell it-swipe the mitt up, show ball, then continue on with the next out. Anytime a girl looks at the umpire with any hesitation or question the call's gone against us. Safest play is always to get the out at the base and avoid a harsh collision, but that's not always possible.

Aug 5, 2012
You have to sell it especially if the tag is going to applied to the outfield side of the runner with a little push. But you're right, it is often a "blown" call because the ump can't see it well enough. I always prefer a throw to the bag unless the runner is practically on top of the fielder. Plus if you have a smart base runner, she can always slow up or stop to avoid the tag and allow the hitter or other base runners time to advance.

Jul 26, 2010
I teach them to look for the tag only if they field the ball in the baseline. Depending on how hard the ball is hit and how deep your fielders are playing, this will vary for each play. I've found that most of the tag plays require a very aware fielder who is really on the ball. At younger ages, teach them to look for the tag but look while they set up for the throw to the base the lead runner is moving to.

-W

From an umpires perspective I can see how this is a hard call depending on how you position yourself and how the tag is applied the umpire might be shielded. Go stand behind short, have a runner go to first then have you second baseman tag the runner on the right shoulder as they run by...the umpire is making an assumption from what he is seeing and how the players react as to whether a tag is made he simply cannot see it.

Comp will probably be able to help more but especially on that play if you can have the glove in front it seems like an easier call for the ump, tagging on the shoulder blinds the ump and tagging from behind can have a tendency to look like you are swiping at a runner that has already gone by you. The PU should be helping on the calls where the fielder tags from behind but even the PU is blocked from seeing that right shoulder tag.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I teach our girls that when they apply the tag, use both hands and tag them just hard enough to move them out of the base line or running path. If the BR abruptly moves sideways a little, it is awfully hard for the umpire to dispute she was tagged whether he saw the actual tag or not. If perchance it was a swipe or light tag, I teach them to sell it as other posters have said.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I really hate having to throw to the base especially when there is a chance for a double play. During this past game, the ball was hit hard to 2B and she made a good, clean tag. I just really hate it when a player is not rewarded for working hard and making a great play at a critical time in a game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You can't change what you do every time an ump blows a call. Continue on with what you do, I guarantee you there will be a game where your second baseman will miss the runner by 2 feet and throw to first and the umps will give you a double play. Will you change what you do then? Of course not, so don't change now.

Mar 13, 2010
Even moving the runner won't guarantee the out will be called. I had a catcher move the runner so far out of the baseline that if she hadn't been tagged, she should have been called for avoiding. He called her safe. When I appealed was told he was right and when I requested he go ask the other umpires was told to sit down and shut up. I probably shouldn't have offered my glasses at that point, but I don't show respect to people who don't deserve it. (and was successful on my complaint against him as catcher, next batter and pitcher all heard it)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55