Fico's Thumb Off Rise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2013
i'd go rise on the pic above just because I can see all 5 digits. Grip is exactly how my DD is taught to grip it....going to fall off the 3 fingers last, index finger is in the way, hence the knuckle....but im just a dad.

Jul 26, 2010
Good changeups spin to break down and out. I've no idea what pitch is being thrown here, but just putting that out there. The spin doesn't have to be very much on a change, but it needs to be there or the ball will float.

-W

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The grip for the bent fingered rise looks just like the circle change. That is what batters expect when they see it early in the wind up. If she is guiving it a 'flick' as someone mentioned, definitely the BF rise.

Did she drop her right shoulder right at release? If so, she turned the BF rise into an up and in.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Hal did you look at the picture? Someone says she might be flicking a finger, so it is definitely the fast ball rise. But if she lowers her right shoulder right at release she turned it into a FB rise up and in. I thought you said a fast ball was straight, so how can the shoulder movement make it break up and in? It's just a photo not a video and you looked at it to make you expert opinion. You would be wasting every body's time answering my question, but I think you are wasting everybody's time with your words of wisdom without thinking about what you said. Look at the picture again and say it looks like a change up, because all you see is the ball deep in her palm with her thumb off the ball grip. Why would you say, if she does something with her shoulder at release the fb rise will break, if a fastball is straight without movement like you have said before?

Feb 20, 2012
Eddie Feigner didn't use his thumb for rises just like Fico does. The snap is different in that the fingers snap under and into the body.
When Fico throws the ball by the way she pitches she telegraphs the pitch.
One of the best rise ball pitchers I have taught never used her thumb. Her rise came in 5 mph slower than her fastball but was very effective in getting late movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet