Female Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
We have seen the good with Amanda, but let me tell you the bad and the ugly. The second year of our 12u rec program we need a coach for a team. This isn't unusual, in fact we all have gone through this at one time. One of the board members suggested a 18 yo girl who had babysat his kids and he thought would do a good job. I was against it. She had played with my oldest DD on the high school team and had shown no grasp of the game and rode the bench because of it. She was approved over my objections. The players on this team learned nothing. This girls mother helped her with the team and during games both of them would chain smoke. (I could get a smoking ban at the field either) I have seen my share of bad male coaches too,but if anyone thinks that just because someone can coach because they are good with kids has got to look at the whole picture. Most coaches, male or female, are mostly average. Some are very poor and a rare few are exceptional.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A specific female that I knew very well, always had a favorite girl. A male coach would not have been allowed to have these relationships, year after year. It was always a different girl.

It is hard to compete, when coach has a favorite.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Amy is getting close to a topic that is the worst kept secret in sports. It has gotten better over the last 10 years or so.

I often wonder how women's sports is ever going to progress without addressing the issue head on.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Al, let me remind y'all of one thing... Don't let one rotten apple spoil the whole barrel. Just like the men, there are good and bad coaches out there. There are bad old coaches, bad young ones, good old ones, good young ones.

I hate that the girl was able to coach there when she clearly wasn't fit for the job. Through time and helping with the little kids since I was about 14, I've been able to prove that I am competent enough for the job and I've handled everything well. I wouldn't have been entrusted with the kids if they hadn't firmly sniffed me out beforehand.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Male coaches have to be so much more carfeul than girl coaches...girl coaches can put a hnad on a shoulder , give hugs and so on but if a male coach does this soemone will usually complain!! It's unfortunate but that's the way it is!!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Male coaches have to be so much more carfeul than girl coaches...girl coaches can put a hnad on a shoulder , give hugs and so on but if a male coach does this soemone will usually complain!! It's unfortunate but that's the way it is!!

I've been told by some of the male coaches that I know that their biggest problem is not slapping the girls in the butt like they did the boys when they played baseball. They were so used to giving those love taps on the butt, luckily none of them have ever slipped up.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've been told by some of the male coaches that I know that their biggest problem is not slapping the girls in the butt like they did the boys when they played baseball. They were so used to giving those love taps on the butt, luckily none of them have ever slipped up.

Yep, that's a hard habit to break. In the heat of a good game, I've come close and think "ohh crap you idiot".

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Sluggers: How do adults intelligently discuss the topic you suggest ? This topic is very difficult as there are very strong feelings on this topic in many different ways.

Jun 13, 2010
Sluggers: How do adults intelligently discuss the topic you suggest ? This topic is very difficult as there are very strong feelings on this topic in many different ways.

First of all you MUST have the trust of the parents. ALL of the girls on my team have hugged me at one time or another. YOU DO NOT SLAP THEM ON THE BUTT, ever.
Every team is different so is every parent. Being straight up with the kids when mom and dad are around is a big deal, If you wouldnt do it in front of them dont do it at all.

I have hugged a player lots of times for doing something great but it is always in front of a bunch of people.

I also have the trust of the parents of my team. It is something That I work for very hard. I am not being boastful but my teams really love me, They tell me I am the greatest , They hug me, they even slap me if I get out of line. I have a gret relationship with my teams. And I take ownership of them and they like that.

I let the whole community know They are MY SOFTBALL GIRLS, you mess with them, you mess with me. we are like an extened family, And it is one part of this that I really love.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
3'sdad--I don't know.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me or my DDs now, and wasn't a problem in college, but that was because my DD's pitching coach was very clear to the point of being brutal. So, my kids knew what was happening. They weren't shocked when they went to college. They were aware.

Some parents, though, are incredibly clueless. They have a mindset of what "people like that" are like, and so it doesn't register. The parents can end up putting their child in a situation the child is not prepared for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283