"feeling out of synch"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2013
I'm hoping for a little help...my daughter has been progressing well with IR thanks to BM's post and others here. She has had a hard time getting in regular throwing sessions due to school ball conditioning heating up and the last two times she has thrown she says that she "doesn't feel right" and "feels out of synch." Her IR drills look good but full motion seems to be off. She throws as hard doing circles as full motion. This is frustrating as she been throwing better than ever up till now... This is her first time lifting and the team has NOT been working pitchers/catchers so the question is could lifting without regular pitching be the culprit and what are some sequencing queues we should look for? She says she feels fine no pain or anything. I know I need to post a video but I am using an I-pad and its too blurry to post. Is there a way to get a quality vid using I-pad? If not what I should I do to get usable video?

I apologize for the generic post; I was going to pull on Batman's cape and PM BM but his inbox is full so I'm throwing myself on everyone's mercy.

PS: Anyone know pitching instructor in KY we should be going to??

Jun 18, 2010
You can use an iPad or iPhone, just make sure you have really good lighting... oh and don't shake the camera ;)

Oct 9, 2013
Thanks, I just saw in a thread someone talk about coaches eye, is that an app I should use??

Oct 9, 2013
She typically throws 3 - 4 days week off season; right now conditioning is 6 days/week so she has thrown twice in last 13 days which is very unusual for her...

Oct 22, 2009
Has she tried to do some walk in pitching? It would be a good way for her to to start synching in.

Oct 9, 2013
No she hasn't been doing walk ins...I have built her a mat to pitch on but it is about 8 feet or so long....that is a good idea, she uses these in warm ups when outside we will add these back in.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
The Coaches' Eye is a great tool for checking sequence, the real limitation is the 60fps of the iPad, and this is if you've got one of the newer iPads. The second generation with cameras only capture 30fps I believe. If your trying to see the release you'll need faster but 60fps should allow you to see or check if the ball is facing third at nine and maybe seven.

I'll speak from recent experience. My own student was struggling with bullet spins and slow pitches. Using the Coaches Eye I was able to see that one student was firing her hip too soon causing a loss of power and a bullet spin while the other was firing way too late. Rick Pauley has some good suggestions on hip sequencing so we're using those to get back on track.