Feedback on 10U swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2013
Riley tee work - YouTube

since the video she's been working on the back elbow and focusing on her head at contact...

love the look on her face and the violence in the swing...

let me know what you think.

thanks.

(please excuse the jacked up camera work... evidently I'm not smart enough to get a level shot using a tripod)

Where you at Crankermo? ;-)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
noelbl.gif

Apr 15, 2012
I love the way she swings the bat with the intent to do some damage!! What ever you do be careful and don't coach that killer instinct out of her!!

R

RayR

How does she hit in games?

riley.gif

There is a lot to like here - getting the back leg involved is very nice.

I am not that concerned about the rear arm position that FFS highlighted, but I do think that Riley would do well to learn how to use her back leg and back hip to create a lateral tilt to begin the swing instead of swinging with her shoulders level. This will help her get the rear arm through the swing.

rileyx.jpg

larsentilt2.jpg

Same hitter as above in slow motion showing the lateral tilt

larsentilt.gif

Feb 14, 2010
Hello there Joe. This kid works her butt off and wants to be the best she can, so she will put in the work, same town as Brooke.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2013
She hits very well in games. She's aggressive and typically gets her money's worth.

2/27 tee work - YouTube

Here's a clip that was a little more level, and might show more lateral tilt as mentioned above.

Let me know what you think.

thanks!

Sep 17, 2009
Not a lot young hitters can get to this position of riding their rear leg. From here, work on tightening the hip coil and building stretch and then using that to launch and a good swing gets even better...

ride.jpg

Feb 7, 2013

One thing that i noticed is she seems to be for forcably turning the back leg in the right hip socket but it has little effect on her hip turn and movement. Let me explain.

There are at least two camps on the role of the back leg. One is the leg drives the hips forward. The other theory is that the turning of the back leg happens naturally and is a non teach, as the hips move forward and rotate so does the leg turn.

Your daughter seems to be doing neither, meaning it looks like she has been told to squish the bug or pivot on her foot but it isn't contributing much to the lower body action (they are not in synch with each other).

Fyi, my DD was taught to push off the inside of her big toe on her back foot to drive her right hip forward as she strides. Hope that helps? BTW, I like your DDs swing.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
One thing that i noticed is she seems to be for forcably turning the back leg in the right hip socket but it has little effect on her hip turn and movement. Let me explain.

There are at least two camps on the role of the back leg. One is the leg drives the hips forward. The other theory is that the turning of the back leg happens naturally and is a non teach, as the hips move forward and rotate so does the leg turn.

Your daughter seems to be doing neither, meaning it looks like she has been told to squish the bug or pivot on her foot but it isn't contributing much to the lower body action (they are not in synch with each other).

Fyi, my DD was taught to push off the inside of her big toe on her back foot to drive her right hip forward as she strides. Hope that helps? BTW, I like your DDs swing.

Learn to stretch and fire:
Slapper1.gif

SNF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi