Feedback for 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2012
This is my dd hitting off the tee. She is able to keep her head on the barrel when hitting off the tee, but during soft toss she pulls her head to 3rd base. Any feedback and suggestion will be welcomed.

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=h0wtxjHvUi4[/video]

May 31, 2012
Just a bucket dad. But I see some bug squishing. Pulling the head is related to front shoulder coming out early. Work on oppo field hitting. Set the ball up deeper and on the outside when doing tee work. Bottom hand drill focus on hitting ball towards right center. Stress keeping front shoulder in longer.bug squishing do walk thru, face fire drills. Feel the hips work.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
Shes off to a good start. She swings hard and there doesnt appear to be any bat drag. Have fun helping her get better.

Oct 25, 2009
She stands tall, shifts her weight over her backfoot instead of to the inside of the backfoot. She then steps instead of striding with a coil.

I like the kick stride (raised front knee) but she needs to bring the knee more across her body (show the pitcher her front hip pocket) and maintain that coil to toe touch.

What will really help the arm-type swing (and the issues mentioned) is to have her bat with a very short bat (about a 12"-18" wooden bat). Top hand only. This will let her feel what the ball getting deep will be like. The tee will be almost directly centered in front of her. The hip will learn to turn to clear a path for the hands; she will naturally stay connected instead of all arms; she will stay inside the ball; she will learn to throw (unhinge) the barrel; and very importantly, tilt.

Also great with front toss.

Get a good solid wooden short bat. Not a tee ball bat, they're too long, and noisy.

http://www.justbats.com/product/bamboobat-one-hand-trainer--hbbb18tr-short-training-bat/7089/

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2012
Thank for pointing out the "coil." I just noticed and she don't have any coil whatsoever. We'll work on that.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
116_zps206b080d.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
116b_zps66caa13b.gif

I like her swing. Think she has a lot of potential. I would only make some changes to her lower half/
Every tweak I think can be seen in the rdb post above.
Your dd is loading back, over, and above her back leg. I would have her load INTO her back leg, keeping and feeling pressure inside her back thigh.
Your dd is reaching out with her front leg. An action all on it's own. Look at Bautista and the boy on the tee, their front leg stride is an action that is still attached to the rest of their lower half. There is pressure maintained in their rear upper thigh the whole time. When your dd reaches out with her front leg, she loses any chance of holding and using that.
Her weight balance comes forward with her front leg stretch, it is in between both legs, then she spins. I would have her shifting her weight with her swing. Think about Bautista there, can you see he comes forward, but is weight is still mostly into his back leg until he swings and it powers through the ball.

Nov 27, 2012
Rdbass &. Redhotcoach thanks a lot. I went thru your post and understand exactly what you are saying. Thanks for the detailed explanation that even someone like me , who never played a game of baseball in my life was able to understand. Now the hardest part is getting it thru to my DD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12