Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s a local tournament with local teams. If you’re waiting for herd immunity or a vaccine, you will probably have to wait until 2022 for the threat to subside. But you’re right, it’s a personal decision.

Not necessarily waiting for a vaccine. May 9 just seems too soon to me. But that's just my opinion. At some point in time flights and cruises will start back up. But I will not be the first on either. I will let someone else be the guinea pig. Then I will give it a shot after the first herd makes it through...

If anyone on here chooses to participate sooner, I wish you the best of luck. I'm anxious to get things started too. I just don't want to rush it.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
Illinois is going "stay at home" through May. Even trying to remain as optimistic as possible, mid-June before we could even practice? Of course, half the state might be unemployed by then, so might not matter.

Unfortunately our entire states numbers are being driven by the Chicago area. Downstate things aren’t near as bad as the media makes it sound. Down here I am surrounded by counties that only have between 0-5 deaths in the last 6 weeks from Covid-19.

Apr 16, 2013
This brings into question something I've really been thinking about as it will no doubt affect me and my family. We live in NC and we just got our "Phase 1" date pushed back to May 8th, even though we're doing really dang well in the #s. However, SC will be opening up sooner. There are LOTS of tournaments that take place just across the border from E to W to middle SC. I can't help but wonder how many teams are going to travel to tournaments down in SC.

Jul 9, 2016
I see a time when everyone will have to show your Vaccination record for Cov 19 or your immunity card in order to enter
a stadium.

May 16, 2016
25,834 people under the age of 60 died in car accidents. Thus far there have been a total of 4,362 deaths for ALL people under the age of 60 from Covid-19. Using the Massachusetts number, ie... 2.5% of those deaths were people with no underlying conditions, you get 109 Covid-19 deaths of people under the age of 60 with no underlying conditions as of the week ending April 18.

25,834 traffic fatalities vs 109 Covid-19 fatalities thus far. I stand by my statement that you have a better chance of dying in a car wreck than you do of Covid-19 if you are under the age of 60 with no underlying condition. The numbers clearly say I'm correct.

Oh, wow, you actually researched that? LOL You presume that your comparison of cherry picked statistics is meaningful in the first place. Simply, it is not.

One, you are comparing annual deaths with what, 3 or 4 months of Covid 19 data? There are something like 3 Trillion vehicle miles traveled in the US each year, and only 36,000 deaths. That is like 83 Million miles traveled per death. That is an incredibly low level of risk vs exposure.

Finally, we are in the middle of this Covid 19 thing... Likely we will hit 80k deaths before end of summer. Then its going to hit us again in the Fall and winter. We will likely be at 120k or higher by the end of a year. And you presume death is the only negative outcome, when the reality is, if you are hospitalized with Covid 19, and recover, you will likely never be the same. Lung scaring, organ damage, cardiac issues have all been reported by survivors. There are reports of blood clotting in youth and young adults with mild Covid 19 symptoms, causing strokes and heart attacks. These are just now being connected to the infection, so the young and healthy may not be as safe as once thought.

"Dr. Thomas Oxley, a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai Health System in New York, and colleagues gave details of five people they treated. All were under the age of 50, and all had either mild symptoms of Covid-19 infection or no symptoms at all. "The virus seems to be causing increased clotting in the large arteries, leading to severe stroke," Oxley told CNN. "

Weekly death rate comparison...

1587703455284.png

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I see a time when everyone will have to show your Vaccination record for Cov 19 or your immunity card in order to enter
a stadium.
? Interesting ?
Would this apply to every vaccine? Some vaccines arent full proof?

That said, there will be a paper-trail by having a receipt. Isnt health care stuff private?.... Hmmmm?

Currently certain state child vaccines not required to go to public school.
Most required.

Interesting ?!?!
Businesses testing employees?
Businesses vaccine employees?

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Hospitals make employees get mandatory Flu Vaccines every year but I have never once taken one in 23 years. I write a detailed letter every year explaining the reasons why U decline the flu Vaccine and I agree to wear a mask 100% at Hospitals. And they leave me alone until the next year

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Oh, wow, you actually researched that? LOL You presume that your comparison of cherry picked statistics is meaningful in the first place. Simply, it is not.

One, you are comparing annual deaths with what, 3 or 4 months of Covid 19 data? There are something like 3 Trillion vehicle miles traveled in the US each year, and only 36,000 deaths. That is like 83 Million miles traveled per death. That is an incredibly low level of risk vs exposure.

Finally, we are in the middle of this Covid 19 thing... Likely we will hit 80k deaths before end of summer. Then its going to hit us again in the Fall and winter. We will likely be at 120k or higher by the end of a year. And you presume death is the only negative outcome, when the reality is, if you are hospitalized with Covid 19, and recover, you will likely never be the same. Lung scaring, organ damage, cardiac issues have all been reported by survivors. There are reports of blood clotting in youth and young adults with mild Covid 19 symptoms, causing strokes and heart attacks. These are just now being connected to the infection, so the young and healthy may not be as safe as once thought.

"Dr. Thomas Oxley, a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai Health System in New York, and colleagues gave details of five people they treated. All were under the age of 50, and all had either mild symptoms of Covid-19 infection or no symptoms at all. "The virus seems to be causing increased clotting in the large arteries, leading to severe stroke," Oxley told CNN. "

Weekly death rate comparison...

View attachment 17272
Appreciate people bringing information to the discussion!
* it occurs to me that while we can recognize the information available here, and recognize the severity of the problem.
It appears this is not like a fire that is going to be extinguished. Of course a 100% vaccine would be the hero! Putting out the blaze.

That said,
When i read 'this is what we're up against' over and over.....
Without any thought on how to live going foward, it ends the discussion.

I am being safe. I see others who are not. Also know there are many still working. With many others not. Currently i am not working.
Do i want to yes.
So i think through now what possibility would be prudent to start working again.
What if no vaccine til next year?
Do i wait it out? Can i?
Hmmmmm?
This for me is important, as i already recognize the problem.
Safe at home til May 15th, .....then?......

*Everyone processes things in their own way. Which actually think brings balance.
Appreciate the different information people are sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: NEF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma