Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What does what I do for work matter. Those people in the states with stay at home orders that are protesting. Give me a break. Stay home. And yes I’m working. Work at a grocery store and let me say a lot customers heathers never watch the news because they don’t follow the 6 foot guidelines
It doesnt matter WHAT you do for a living.

It matters because people are not working and falling behind on their mortgage payments and fear losing their house.

As stated by Texas heat, if Sweden's model works we will have been duped. I can hear the excuses already....You cant compare blah blah blah.

One person tell me how it is OK for me to go to home depot or grocery store with my DD but not OK for me to play catch with DD at the park or go on a hike or bike ride or surfing or boat ride or fishing or ect.

Part of the frustration is the restrictions do not make common sense.

Jun 8, 2016
As stated by Texas heat, if Sweden's model works we will have been duped.
By whom and for what reason? There are only a few people I know of in history that are narcissistic and psychotic enough to inflict this sort of pain on purpose and they typically don't wear lab coats.

Feb 20, 2019
You misunderstood me. I wasn't criticizing the delivery people. I am happy they are doing what they're doing and hope they all stay safe. My daughter's boyfriend is working for UPS so I have a personal stake in hoping nothing happens to the delivery people.

My point was that even staying in your home doesn't guarantee you won't be exposed. So the more we can isolate ourselves and follow the recommendations the better.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have a couple of UPS employees in the family too, as well as some doing grocery deliveries. Those companies are doIng very little to protect their frontline workers and it’s very frustrating.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This just muddies the waters....how things are being counted or attributed to Covid or not...

And that is simply comparing state death...

In the US, the standard death certificate can have as many as three different causes of death. So, e.g., a person who dies of pneumonia would be pneumonia caused by a bacterial infection caused by coronavirus.

But, that is the USA way. Other nations simply list one cause of death, especially Asian countries, and specifically China.

My point: Be careful when someone says, "X people died of coronavirus in the US, but Y people died of coronavirus in Katmandu." There is really no way to compare cause-of-death between countries.

Jun 8, 2016
Now the idea that everybody is following social distancing protocols is obviously a stretch but that number, e.g. average number of people a person who is infected is exposed to, is an estimate even in the best case scenario. Maybe people are more introverted then we think ;)
Dr. Chris Murray, the director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, said cell phone data anonymized and shared with his research team shows that people by and large are following social distancing policies.

The institute's coronavirus modeling is being used by the White House to craft its response to the pandemic.

"We've made a big push to try to take into account how people move around," Murray told CNN's coronavirus town hall.

"There's a bunch of providers out there sharing cell phone movement data, of course anoymized to protect people's privacy. But what that tells us is that there's been more social distancing across the country than I think we expected, even in some of the states that haven't had as strong mandates. So that's going to factor into our new estimates."

As a country this is something we should be proud of.

Oct 4, 2018
Down here in the South, our tournaments are already pretty nasty. Disgusting bathrooms, kids running around with snot dripping everywhere, men spitting dip all over the bleachers. And this same group wants to play softball immediately and they don't care if a few people at each tournament die (as seen by their facebook posts).

I think it's time for another sport. ;)

Sadly, if our team decides to return to tournaments the day we're "allowed" to, we'll probably pass. Simply not worth the risk. Of course it depends on the timing and conditions. But I do think we'll have another spike and I want no part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd