Father, I name thee “Sir Hector”

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
It’s been an interesting start of a fall club ball season with a new team. The coaches and parents are mostly wonderful. The majority are certainly invested in their DD’s success while being reasonable and appropriately reserved during the games (in the critique of their DD).

It is tough to watch one of the parents though. He is absolutely evaporating his DD’s enjoyment of the game (and probably her success as well).

She is an asset in the field and is a versatile. However, she is struggling at the plate. She drops her hands badly just before the swing and is having trouble making contact. Before every at bat, the dad comes over behind the dugout and hectors his daughter about multiple aspects.

The Webster definition of the verb to hector is, “to speak to somebody in a loud, threatening, or domineering tone intended to intimidate.” I am sure you all know this word, but this definition is spot-on.

The father unleashes a loud, domineering and disapproving stream of commentary during the entirety of her at bat ending with some exclamation of disgust at her failure. He must believe she should be much better.

She is 13, a favorite of her teammates and often has a smile on her face. That smile is nowhere to be seen when she is at bat. She endures her father’s barrage of disjointed instructions and disappointment with a palpable dejection.

It’s hard to see her cry in the dugout.

Nov 29, 2009
The Head Coach is failing this player. The HC needs to tell the dad to let the girl be and let her figure it out on her own.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
The head coach is coaching third when this is happening. I am not sure how much she is seeing. I will be covering it with her.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Having coached DD for a number of years it was difficult for me to keep my mouth shut. Knowing this I joined the others behind the fence. I don't sit with them but this way if my mouth can't stay closed only the right fielder might hear some of it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Having coached DD for a number of years it was difficult for me to keep my mouth shut. Knowing this I joined the others behind the fence. I don't sit with them but this way if my mouth can't stay closed only the right fielder might hear some of it.

Excellent plan. My RF fence spot has to be wife- and idiot-free. The wife gets and respects this. The idiot wonders why I am further away from the plate each inning when he stops by to re-hash and provide his insight and analysis. Someday, I may be able to sit in the stands.

Apr 6, 2012
This is difficult for everyone to watch. The head coach needs to take this father aside and let him know this is unacceptable and that he is getting in the way of the coaches doing their job. From my experience, this usually doesn't mean that it stops. It is more likely that the father will take his kid off the team.

Dec 11, 2010
Ol' Hector needs to know that his behavior not only negatively affects his daughter but all the other girls on the team.

Jan 25, 2011
Tell him to shut the **** up. Why do we all have to tip toe around the issue's now a days.The wussifacation of America, can't hurt anyones feelings and I'm not go to say I'm sorry about my post:mad:

May 31, 2012
Tell him to shut the **** up. Why do we all have to tip toe around the issue's now a days.The wussifacation of America, can't hurt anyones feelings and I'm not go to say I'm sorry about my post:mad:

That's funny I feel the same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi