Fastpitch softball gloves

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I noticed there are a lot of threads about different bats but the intel on gloves seems pretty thin . Is Nokona , Vinci and the Wilson A2000 pretty much it ? My 12YO DD needs to get a bit smaller glove and I am trying to find her one that will last her for a while . She played CF all last season and has a Rawling's 13 inch glove for outfield work but she is hoping to spend a bit more time in the infield this year and her current glove seems a bit big and floppy to be effective there .

Aug 9, 2011
I think Rawling is the best glove out. As for switching gloves due to size, I don't think 13" is to big for infield at all. If her glove is floppy, that's usually due to bad molding and bad or lack of maintenance. I had an assistant coach that always had his daughter turn the fingers and web inside out to get it soft and keep it soft. That's not how a glove is suppose to be treated and is soo bad for a glove and ultimately makes it worthless. A glove should be properly molded and maintained. Almost like a cave. When his daughter would use her glove it was like a "V" closing around a circle. Imagine that picture, the "V" closes on the circle and the circle pops out. Keep the glove molded like a cave and the entire glove should not be floppy or soft, just the portion that moves. IE, the fingers should not collapse forward. Hope this helps.

Jan 25, 2011
I like the Nokona myself,never really liked Rawling,their more about baseball.I would stick to a 12 or 12.5 glove for the infield.My dd likes mizuno,they are soft and break in really fast.Your dd just has to find what is best for her,a glove is very personal.I disagree a little with only1bigdaddyo,The glove should be some what soft and a little floppy,it is better then being stiff and hard.Besides the feilder should be using soft hands anyway the ball should barely be in the glove.

Jun 21, 2010
Nokona gloves for us. Buy several from a seller who will accept returns ( assuming you're buying online ). Let DD choose which she wants and send the other's back. DD's fielding glove in a Nokona and her catcher mitt is a Mizuno.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Glovesmith makes a good glove. You can have them custom made in untanned leather that will last a long time. My DD has a 11.75 glove for middle infield. It took about 6 months to break in, but will hopefully, be the last glove we buy her. She's a freshman in high school.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Only1 I loved Rawlings as a baseball player. I agree with you, gloves should have a pocket. I hate gloves that fold like two sheets of paper, and are flimsy.

Nano and JV, I don't like Mizuno but to each their own. One important thing, I am not sure of which models we are talking about but many of the less expensive models including many of the black Mizunos are soft and break in super fast because they use pigskin and not cowhide.

My opinion is that pigskin is fine for 10U and below. However, pigskin loses it form quicker, doesn't last very long compared to cowhide, and is thinner.

Because it's thinner it's also much lighter, which helps young kids. I would just stick with pigskin though 10U, especially considering the expense.

Cowhide is much harder to break in, but lasts much longer and keeps its form. The thickness is also a plus when kids are able to throw much harder.

Jan 25, 2011
My dd's mizuno is the $100 dollar one,not expensive,but I have to say her glove is about perfect.Now myself I don't care how long they last,the glove guy has to eat too. Mr.t my dd starts 14u this year and allready has been playing with girls that throw hard,so your logic is flawed,also the lighter the glove the better.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Just trying to help with considerations. Making guesses since exact models aren't being mentioned. But at $100 it is possible (likely?) your DD has a cowhide mitt

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
The TPS Valkyrie is the best glove I've seen that a younger player can handle at size 121/2-12 3/4.

I had a couple of girls on my team one, a heckuva player, had a glove that wasn't even made of leather and another that I have no idea how she navigated the season with an 11" glove (for a 12" ball) at 12u.

I related this to a softball mom in another league in our city who has a lefty for her elite level daughter (and therefore couldn't help) and she connected me with a long time coach and a prince of a guy that had a few extra gloves I then gave to these girls and they are like vacuum cleaners with them...they are used, worn, yet they are better than the glove they had before.

I related this to say, regardless of the type of glove, the heart that is attached to the hand in the glove makes a ton of difference too...and when you are done with the glove you just took off her hand look for someone in need instead of it staying in the bag never to be used again...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom