Fastpitch cleats vs. spikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
Was cleaning up daughters ringors tonight and noticed after a year and a half, she has a hole starting on the pro-tec toe. So, time to order a new pair. I am considering Ringor spikes. But, is there an advantage to spikes over cleats? Pros? Cons?

Thanks for any info.

Jul 26, 2010
Most of the players I know that switched from plastic to metal won't go back. I don't know anyone that prefers plastic. If the rules in your organization allow, and other players are already using metal cleats, then I think it's a good choice.

It's probably not the best idea to be the first player on your team to make the switch, as you'll get the stinkeye from some parents who think you're out to lacerate their daughter.

-W

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD made the switch to spikes last year, she is a pitcher. She feels more secure and has a better push off the rubber.

Make sure that spikes are allowed in the league your DD plays in.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Metal spikes for pitchers are a game changer, especially in the spring, when it's wet, and the summer, when the fields get really hard. There's a lot of confidence to be derived from traction. I've never had a pitcher make the switch and wish she could go back to rubber or plastic. Once they reach the age where it's legal, I push really hard to have at least pitchers and catchers in metal.

Jun 13, 2010
There is only one place I like plastic better. In the out field Metal seems to hang up a little. BUT considering that the base paths are dirt and everyone will be on the base paths at some point I would go metal. My DD got some metal when a store went out of biz for 6 bucks. She said she would never go back, She acually tried some plastic after wearing metal for a season and said that the difference was pretty noticable.

If they are legal they are the way to go. Most all of my girls are slowly going to metal.
One girl got some that have a type of Carbon fiber spikes that she likes real well. They are configured like the metal and are replaceable with your choice of metal or carbon.

Nov 29, 2009
My daughter never looked back once she went to metal. When she finished college and was playing in an adult slow pitch league she had to wear plastic spikes again and said she felt like they were slippery.

Dec 19, 2008
I ordered her the Ringors diamond star spikes w/ pro-tec toes (in red). It was only $5 more for 2nd business day, so they should be here tomorrow, right before the tournament :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA