Fake softball energy trend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I've seen and heard the songs and chants in dugouts in travel ball. I've initiated a few of them myself. All we want to do is have some fun with our friends for a few hours playing the game we love instead of having some stuffy adult telling us we can't have a little fun. Now I do agree some of the songs and chants do get out of hand. But its still fun even when working with a team your rivals with.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
'Hey, we want some [insert girls name]!' I asked the players if they knew the origin of that cheer. None did. I left it at that.

That one is tough because, the origin, yeah...

But it's been used in the way the players now use it for many years in other cheering/sport contexts, so I wonder if it's so far removed from 2 Live Crew that it doesn't matter.

May 18, 2019
'Hey, we want some [insert girls name]!' I asked the players if they knew the origin of that cheer. None did. I left it at that.
The first time I heard that one my neck snapped. Pretty creative and pretty wrong. I asked the girls as well (another HS team) and they all knew. Coach didn't. At first it bugged me a bit given origin but now it's part of the repertoire and I'm cool with it (not that they'd care if I wasn't)

May 12, 2014
I am a big baseball fan too and he’s right but this isn’t professional baseball, these are college females.

Also so what if it is manufactured. I think it is amusing that it bothers you enough to make a thread about it.
I am a big baseball fan too and he’s right but this isn’t professional baseball, these are college females.

Also so what if it is manufactured. I think it is amusing that it bothers you enough to make a thread about it.
I just don’t think all of these emotional outbursts are sincere. It’s for “show”. That’s all. Spiking bats on walks for example.

And it’s a message board. Why does anyone post anything on the board?

Oct 4, 2018
Great take. I honestly love passion. But everyone doing the same gestures is more of a trend thing vs a sincere outburst of emotion…in my opinion.

I’m watching OU now and they over celebrate everything. It would be like football players dancing whenever they get a first down

Girl got intentionally walked just now and acted like she hit the game running grand slam while curing cancer and rescuing puppies from a fire.

Apr 8, 2019
I just don’t think all of these emotional outbursts are sincere. It’s for “show”. That’s all. Spiking bats on walks for example.

And it’s a message board. Why does anyone post anything on the board?
I have always been an old-school, "congratulations, you did your job" kind of guy. I used to literally get embarrassed when my kid's team would perform cheers over some silly play. I have since learned that this is the wrong way to think about it.

The arguments that these are kids, and this is a game are true, and enough reason alone to justify all the extreme enthusiasm. But I doubt it's why big-name college teams go crazy over a walk. They do it because it is an easy way to help keep their mental game on point. It is an old truism that softball is a game of failure and if you let all that failure get to you, you're going to struggle. Celebrating even the smallest wins is a great way to combat the negativity spiral that can occur when things aren't going well. I can't even count how many times I've seen a girl turn one error into a horrible tournament. The constant enthusiasm turns that mindset into a small hiccup on the trail to success.

It also can intimidate the hell out of the opposing team. I thought my DD's high school coach was insane when I heard that she makes her kids cheer until literally the last out, regardless of the score. But then I watched them turn a 9-1 deficit in the 6th into a 13-9 victory. They treated every stupid blooper, every walk, every fumbled grounder into proof they were building momentum, and soon the opposition believed it too. They completely folded. They looked scared with a late eight-run lead.

The enthusiasm works. With the mental game becoming such a big part of sports, it just seems like a no-brainer.

May 12, 2014
I have always been an old-school, "congratulations, you did your job" kind of guy. I used to literally get embarrassed when my kid's team would perform cheers over some silly play. I have since learned that this is the wrong way to think about it.

The arguments that these are kids, and this is a game are true, and enough reason alone to justify all the extreme enthusiasm. But I doubt it's why big-name college teams go crazy over a walk. They do it because it is an easy way to help keep their mental game on point. It is an old truism that softball is a game of failure and if you let all that failure get to you, you're going to struggle. Celebrating even the smallest wins is a great way to combat the negativity spiral that can occur when things aren't going well. I can't even count how many times I've seen a girl turn one error into a horrible tournament. The constant enthusiasm turns that mindset into a small hiccup on the trail to success.

It also can intimidate the hell out of the opposing team. I thought my DD's high school coach was insane when I heard that she makes her kids cheer until literally the last out, regardless of the score. But then I watched them turn a 9-1 deficit in the 6th into a 13-9 victory. They treated every stupid blooper, every walk, every fumbled grounder into proof they were building momentum, and soon the opposition believed it too. They completely folded. They looked scared with a late eight-run lead.

The enthusiasm works. With the mental game becoming such a big part of sports, it just seems like a no-brainer.
Great feedback. I appreciate the conversation. I’m watching FSU right now. They play with excitement and it’s genuine looking. It doesn’t look forced at all. A genuine love for the game and one another.

OU does just to do it. Going ballistic on walks is so corny

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles