Fair or Foul?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
If the ball is batted fair (which is the case here). Ump calls infield fly, it's an out. Player does not make a play for the ball to catch it on the bounce. It rolls foul after contacting pitcher's plate. She's out.

I believe once he makes the call, the out is an out. The batted fly is a fair ball. It's only foul after contact and after IF ruled

The umpire is actually told to say "Infield Fly. Batter is out if fair".

Dec 19, 2012

It is still a foul ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

It is still a foul ball.

Well, a fly ball to the middle of the infield probably will not draw an "if fair" declaration, but that doesn't change the rules, it is still a foul ball.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If the ball is batted fair (which is the case here). Ump calls infield fly, it's an out. Player does not make a play for the ball to catch it on the bounce. It rolls foul after contacting pitcher's plate. She's out.

I believe
once he makes the call, the out is an out. The batted fly is a fair ball. It's only foul after contact and after IF ruled

IME, the biggest difference between coaches and umpires when it comes to rules is that most coaches believe, while umpires know. In order to know, you have to have read the rulebook cover to cover. That means not last year's rulebook nor the ASA book if you're playing NFHS or USSSA, but the rulebook for the game you're playing in. IMO, if a coach is asking their players to give SB their full attention and effort, the coach isn't holding up their end of the bargain if they haven't read the rulebook before the start of each season.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
That's a joke, right?

Unusual circumstances and interpretation rears it's ugly head all the time.

No joke. Actually the play in question is a straight forward rule book call that I recall from my LL playing days. I will admit that I may be giving some umpires too much credit, but "real" umpires know the rules and the rule book. Take an informal poll and ask the coaches you know when they last read, not just looked at, the rule book. My guess is that you'll be surprised. I'd even wager that less than half have the most current book.

Oct 24, 2010
Better yet. What if it hit a bat in fair territory that was no longer moving. :D

A stationary bat in fair territory becomes part of the field, like a rock or a divot. Play on. The ball is fair or foul where touched by a fielder or it comes to rest.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
IME, the biggest difference between coaches and umpires when it comes to rules is that most coaches believe, while umpires know. In order to know, you have to have read the rulebook cover to cover. That means not last year's rulebook nor the ASA book if you're playing NFHS or USSSA, but the rulebook for the game you're playing in. IMO, if a coach is asking their players to give SB their full attention and effort, the coach isn't holding up their end of the bargain if they haven't read the rulebook before the start of each season.

Unfortunately A lot of umps aren't holding up this part of the bargain either.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I believe once he makes the (infield fly) call, the out is an out. The batted fly is a fair ball. It's only foul after contact and after IF ruled

What you believe and what the rules actually say aren't the same thing.

If the umpire calls infield fly, but the ball eventually becomes foul, the batter isn't out and it's treated exactly the same as any other foul ball.

Better yet. What if it hit a bat in fair territory that was no longer moving. :D

Then you have a live ball, no rule infraction or violation, you play on and get what you get.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12