Facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2009
I pay the dental and doctor bills, so she wears a mask in the infield regardless of what she or anyone else thinks.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I pay the dental and doctor bills, so she wears a mask in the infield regardless of what she or anyone else thinks.

Yup...still waiting for Stacey Nuveman-Deniz to allow her catchers behind the dish without all that "crutch" safety gear...since she basically said last year that anyone that wears a mask is a coward...

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The mask is a substitute for manufacturers doing something about hot bats and parents wanting their kids to be supestar hitters (the batting averages today are ridiculously high). Until softball does something, this is what we have. The hot bats have ruined the slowpitch game in the orgs that also juiced balls (sounds funny). At least fp is not to that level--since looking at a safer ball.

About a decade ago, I went on every board I could and warned of the bat situation. The arrogance of the FP community insisted that was a SP problem and wouldn't be an issue to the FP game. Yeah, right.

The SP game has moved to a safer ball, hopefully, it will be the only ball by 2014. However, for the reasons you noted, I think the FP community will fight a change even though the effect on the game is minimal. That's why I'm hoping the NCAA (which was supposedly testing the newer ball) will take the lead in changing to a safer ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We just want to hit a ball with a bat. We don't care too much about what bat and what ball. That is all big business. A safer ball might bring more players to the game.

I wonder if Total Control Sports would be interested in coming up with something that is in between a softball and a Jugs lite flight?

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
You know whats funny? In just about every other sport, the NCAA and colleges are almost over the top in equipment and safety rules. Take hockey for instance, they are the only league with the majority of players above 18 have to wear full face protection (cage).

But with softball, a sport in which missles fly off the bats toward pitchers less that 40' from the plate and 1b/3b crashing in on bunt coverage coaches are saying "we dont' want them because its a sign of weakness" is plain silly.

I think after this next few years pass we will start seeing more ladies wearing the mask making this a non issue to all.

I cringe when I see a pitcher not wearing one, I'd hate to see a bad accident. My kid had a freak accident in RF where she got hit with a ball in the forhead, and believe me, you can have all the skill in the world and all it takes is a freak accident. She had a concussion and for the next 10 days I didn't know my child.

If the kid wants to wear one, let um.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Imasks in the outfield, IMO, are not necessary.

Now that DD is playing 12U she is farther back in the OF and away from the “lip” so she is not required to wear a mask playing the OF. I have seen more injuries caused because of the “lip” then Players not being able to protect themselves in the infield.

KT6

Combatant
Apr 25, 2012
NW
I have 2 kids that play ball, and both wear masks. We decided when our daughter was starting t-ball (she is 12 now) that she would wear a mask.. she complained, but we said, you can play with the mask, or not play.. she chose to play. The kids at that age (almost all of them) could not hit or throw a ball hard enough to hurt anyone.. but it was our intention(s) were 2 things: 1). to protect her face while she was learning to field a ball properly. when a kid wears a mask, they are more likely to not pull/turn their head when fielding a ground ball, or even a hard liner. and 2). to get her used to the mask at a young age, so that when the balls did start coming at her faster, the mask was a part of her body, and not a new gadget she'd have to get used to... This year, was the first year here we've seen lots of girls with masks on.. it's finally nice for her not to be the only one.. for years, she was the only one wearing one.. Now, at 12, she is a great fielder, and the mask does not hinder her at all.. I actually started to think of letting her take it off, and then watched a girl take a ball to the face and break her nose 2 weeks ago, and decided against it!
My son, is 7, and played 2 years of Tball and then coach pitch this year.. we make him wear the mask for the same reason.. I have never seen another baseball fielder with a mask on. People ask me all the time if he has a handicap, or if he has had an injury, I smile, and say, nope, and he won't have an inury to the face on my watch.. my husband always said, if he gets hit anywhere else, it's just a bruise ;)
All the kids on his team this year thought it was cool, and I'm sure that will fade with the boys, and we will get to a place where he will also argue about the mask... but will get the same option.. play with it, or don't play at all.. ;)

Oct 25, 2009
I have 2 kids that play ball, and both wear masks. We decided when our daughter was starting t-ball (she is 12 now) that she would wear a mask.. she complained, but we said, you can play with the mask, or not play.. she chose to play. The kids at that age (almost all of them) could not hit or throw a ball hard enough to hurt anyone.. but it was our intention(s) were 2 things: 1). to protect her face while she was learning to field a ball properly. when a kid wears a mask, they are more likely to not pull/turn their head when fielding a ground ball, or even a hard liner. and 2). to get her used to the mask at a young age, so that when the balls did start coming at her faster, the mask was a part of her body, and not a new gadget she'd have to get used to... This year, was the first year here we've seen lots of girls with masks on.. it's finally nice for her not to be the only one.. for years, she was the only one wearing one.. Now, at 12, she is a great fielder, and the mask does not hinder her at all.. I actually started to think of letting her take it off, and then watched a girl take a ball to the face and break her nose 2 weeks ago, and decided against it!
My son, is 7, and played 2 years of Tball and then coach pitch this year.. we make him wear the mask for the same reason.. I have never seen another baseball fielder with a mask on. People ask me all the time if he has a handicap, or if he has had an injury, I smile, and say, nope, and he won't have an inury to the face on my watch.. my husband always said, if he gets hit anywhere else, it's just a bruise ;)
All the kids on his team this year thought it was cool, and I'm sure that will fade with the boys, and we will get to a place where he will also argue about the mask... but will get the same option.. play with it, or don't play at all.. ;)

By you requiring it, he has a great excuse for wearing it. He can just say you made him. The other kids won't think he's a wimp, they'll think his parents are. And some of them might be wishing their parents required it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi