Facebook Athlete's Pages and College Recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

H

Homalosa

How many of your DD use FB for recruiting purposes? If you do, what content is on there and once she commits do you keep the page or close it? I've seen a few pages for uncommitted players, and only one for a verbaled player. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Never used FB for recruiting. I am of the camp that the info needs to be put under a coach's nose.
Expecting coaches to seek out players via social media is a stretch. I read on this forum a post where
someone referred to college coaches as lazy. I don't think they are lazy but if they are successful having girls
contact them directly, then why should they go outside the box? Most 4 yr institutions look for 4-5 players
annually. The big programs (SEC, PAC12 etc) have thousands of potential players in their database

Dec 31, 2015
At a recent camp the coaches said they do check out the social media of players. This is however AFTER they have interest. You need to grab their attention first. The social media is used to check out the personality and character more than anything.

Dec 27, 2014
North Carolina
Coaches will vet prospects, in part, by monitoring social media. And they will continue to monitor their recruits after committing. In fact, I'm fairly certain they monitor their active players. The girls, like everyone in today's environment, should realize their social footprint is out there and will be scrutinized by coaches, employers...heck, anybody with a prospective interest in their background.

I'm unaware of anyone actively marketing themselves successfully using FB, Twitter, and such - doubt that coaches are trolling for prospects in such a manner. However, I would add that keeping a positive social footprint for yourself is an indirect way of marketing yourself.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not really sure how a FB page devoted to recruiting would be that helpful. Post a skills video to Youtube and send links to the college coaches via email. If you want to follow college coaches and the teams on FB and Twitter do it with your personal account.

As far as coaches monitoring social media, they want to monitor the active accounts, not ones that were created for recruiting that have not been updated since the player verballed.

Sep 26, 2015
I know of a D1 commit who had her offer pulled after she started bad mouthing the school (when the football team was getting crushed) on twitter. I also know of a D1 roster player who was drinking in a video and someone emailed it to her coach. And I know a relatively few number of players.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Obviously anecdotal - but I know of one current SEC player that lost her first SEC school offer after posting multiple pix of underage drinking on FB - but it didn't stop her current SEC school from signing her.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach