Face Masks - Rec League Now Mandatory in our league

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
I wonder how much the rec play factors in. I watched a couple of 10U rec games last year, and let's just say there was truly no need for facemasks for anyone. Those few pitches that were hittable were mostly not hit, or were dribblers. We're in a relatively rural county and most of the girls who can play well move to travel around 10U, it seems. I have seen some rec teams that looked really good though, in other counties, and I can see facemasks being a bigger deal for them.

It probably depends on the league. We had a pitcher in 10U rec get drilled in the thigh. She wouldn't have had a chance if it was at her face. She was wearing a mask.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When my DD was learning how to pitch I was a big fan of pitchers wearing masks and I do not have a problem with a REC league mandating them. Leagues mandate cages for batting helmets....

Sep 6, 2015
There is movement in our state to make masks mandatory in high school for pitchers and corners.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The rec league in my home town implemented this rule a few years ago. The league provides them, and ALL infielders must wear one. Plus the pitchers are also required to wear league provided heart guards. Not a single person was opposed. No one will ever say "I'm glad she WASN'T wearing that mask" after the line drive hit her.... IMO, error on the side of caution.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Given the vast disparity of age and talent, High School softball is inherently more dangerous than REC or TB. Masks are probably a good idea.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Not sure about our rec leagues, since DD hasnt been in rec since 10u, but masks for pitchers and infielders is very common place for all 10U, 12U travel teams in my area. In 14U you start to see some that are not wearing them. This is DDs first year of 16U, and most girls are not wearing them any more. We only have one girl on our team that still wears it to pitch. She is the only one I have seen with one since we started 16U back in August.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
When my DD was learning how to pitch I was a big fan of pitchers wearing masks and I do not have a problem with a REC league mandating them. Leagues mandate cages for batting helmets....

Actually, Little League International does not mandate facemasks for batters helmets in baseball or softball. If they mandated them for softball, they would likely have to require them in baseball as well, and that is another can of worms.

Dec 27, 2014
Our league mandates for pitchers and include one in the coaches bag. Granted everyone wanted to use DD's because it was purple and the league provided one was somehow lesser. :rolleyes:

Last year was first year batting helmets had to have cages, which caused a bit of grumbling for folks to make time to buy and install one. When we started in T-ball nobody had cages on their batting helmets. Then a year later one kid had and I remember seeing a few rolled eyes. Last year Travel for 10u, and 12u fall ball, most batters had cages. (and most pitchers had masks)

Jul 17, 2012
I wish there were a safety standard on fielding masks so they could be mandated. I cringe every time I see a pitcher in the circle without one. My DD took one off the mask last spring. No harm done thanks to the mask....if she wasn't wearing it... catastrophe. At the level I coach, 14U, I VERY rarely see a pitcher without one.

Feb 7, 2014
Our league starting mandating masks for pitchers 4 or 5 years ago. We provided one to each team the first year, but most girls wanted to have their own so we don't supply a team mask any more.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619