Face Masks - Rec League Now Mandatory in our league

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Actually, Little League International does not mandate facemasks for batters helmets in baseball or softball. If they mandated them for softball, they would likely have to require them in baseball as well, and that is another can of worms.

My DD has always been required to wear one. I would love to see what would happen if a girl walked up to the plate without one! I have seen umpires send girls back to the dugout for a chin strap.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My DD has always been required to wear one. I would love to see what would happen if a girl walked up to the plate without one! I have seen umpires send girls back to the dugout for a chin strap.

I get it. But Little League does not require them. Local chapters may have their own rules regarding them, but the main organization does not have a rule that requires facemasks on batters helmets. (They also allow a pitcher to take a step back off the rubber before the pitch).

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Our league requires all infielders in 10U and 12U to where a mask. Most have their own but we have a supply that can be used as well.

Now that ASA has dropped it's chinstrap requirement we'll need to local rule to require those as well.

Jun 11, 2013
I know this is an old post, but saw a kid today in a 14U game take a shot right in the face. It was just terrifying. She at best broke her nose, but I think it's worse. It was our hitter who hit it so I'm not sure how she is.

Jun 13, 2015
Our rec league requires them from 8u on up and supplies each team with one. Most girls at 12u & up already have their own.

May 16, 2016
In our Rec League ALL players must wear either a Mask or mouth guard. Virtually 100% opt for the mask. A team mask is provided in the coach's bag.

Jul 5, 2016
I noticed that the Univ. of Georgia pitcher, Chelsea Wilkinson, started wearing a mask in her senior year.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
Our rec league requires them for all infielders. You don't have one you can only play the outfield. They are extremely strict about enforcing it a girl can't even take warm-up ground balls without it on.

May 20, 2016
My DD is pretty young. She didn't like her facemask in the beginning. Then while pitching in the side yard i threw one back to her that hit her square in the face. Now before she even puts her glove on the facemask is on. I wanted her to use one regardless of our towns requirements. Town isn't going to foot the bill if she takes a shot to the face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619