Face Masks - Rec League Now Mandatory in our league

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Our local rec league has just made face masks for pitchers mandatory this year.

No it's not travel ball but our rec league is a feeder for a number of 12U & 14U travel ball teams in our area.

I know it's not travel or anything else but it is interesting that league is taking this step.

Curious to know if other rec leagues are taking similar steps or if we are just a curiosity.

I don't want this to become another "mask" thread I think there are plenty of them with the pros and cons spelled out. I'm more interested in the attitudes of other "house" leagues that might be out there.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Last year, I was at the head of the push for pitchers to wear masks in our rec league. At the end of it, we decided on making it a "strong recommendation" rather than a mandate.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We are not.

As long as the league provides a mask if the family can not afford it.

I would hate to see a player excluded from one of those positions for a financial reason.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As a pitcher, you know you are in trouble when the coach is walking out to the circle with someone else's face mask in their hands. :)

Dec 17, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
Our local rec league has just made face masks for pitchers mandatory this year.

No it's not travel ball but our rec league is a feeder for a number of 12U & 14U travel ball teams in our area.

I know it's not travel or anything else but it is interesting that league is taking this step.

Curious to know if other rec leagues are taking similar steps or if we are just a curiosity.

I don't want this to become another "mask" thread I think there are plenty of them with the pros and cons spelled out. I'm more interested in the attitudes of other "house" leagues that might be out there.

8U - 12U we require masks for pitchers. Safety concerns have run wild through a lot of leagues in my area.

Jun 12, 2015
I wonder how much the rec play factors in. I watched a couple of 10U rec games last year, and let's just say there was truly no need for facemasks for anyone. Those few pitches that were hittable were mostly not hit, or were dribblers. We're in a relatively rural county and most of the girls who can play well move to travel around 10U, it seems. I have seen some rec teams that looked really good though, in other counties, and I can see facemasks being a bigger deal for them.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
We are not.

As long as the league provides a mask if the family can not afford it.

I would hate to see a player excluded from one of those positions for a financial reason.

I don't know if one is being provided with the "team gear bag" but my assumption is that if the league is mandating pitchers to wear them they will provide them just like they currently do for catchers gear and helmets.* Though I've found past 8U there is generally 0 or 1 girl on the team that does not have their own helmet.

However, my own experience with the masks is that my daughter's chin pad seems to come off the mask, a lot. Not sure how that will be address if it is part of the team gear bag.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I wonder how much the rec play factors in. I watched a couple of 10U rec games last year, and let's just say there was truly no need for facemasks for anyone. Those few pitches that were hittable were mostly not hit, or were dribblers. We're in a relatively rural county and most of the girls who can play well move to travel around 10U, it seems. I have seen some rec teams that looked really good though, in other counties, and I can see facemasks being a bigger deal for them.

I do know in our league it is good thing. The ability level of the players runs from "how do I put a glove on my hand" to "this girl could play A-ball if she wanted to". Though many of the girls who "can play A-ball" leave the league at 10, 11 or 12 for travel opportunities. But some remain in rec for social, multi-sport, or financial reasons.

Sep 29, 2014
I don't know if one is being provided with the "team gear bag" but my assumption is that if the league is mandating pitchers to wear them they will provide them just like they currently do for catchers gear and helmets.* Though I've found past 8U there is generally 0 or 1 girl on the team that does not have their own helmet.

However, my own experience with the masks is that my daughter's chin pad seems to come off the mask, a lot. Not sure how that will be address if it is part of the team gear bag.

No league in there right mind would supply them, since there is not a national standard for safety ratings, if something happened they would get sued and lose.

It will be just like a glove, kids are responsible, they might have a hand-me-down exchange or discount to local store but they can't buy them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101