Extra practice outside scheduled team practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
How much should we encourage (pressure) our 13 yr old to practice outside of her scheduled practices. She has 2 hr practices on Mon, and Sat and is not a pitcher or catcher- they have more. She goes to a personal trainer on Wednesday and "open Volleyball" after. She will attend two hitting clinics in the next two weeks by the owner of the travel team also. I'm worried of burn out in a long season, but I hear of players practicing everyday. Thanks!

Nov 15, 2011
I think that has to be mostly a kid based decision. Burn out is a real problem that I think some parents ignore. IMO the most important thing is to help your DD set goals and reach them. As a 13 yo my DD did practice almost everyday in the off season. This was entirely her decision as she had a goal of making her HS varsity team as an 8th grader (which you can do in our state). She accomplished this goal through a lot of hard work, and our support. We have always let her goals drive the bus. It has not always been easy- she wants to be the best but sometimes needed reminded that if she wants to be the best she has to put the time in. She is now a sophomore in HS and has never been to a HS dance because she always has a tournament- in fact she laughed last night to find out an indoor tournament her team will attend next month is the same day as the Winter Formal. Because of her softball training schedule she does not have a traditional HS social life, but is a very happy kid The important thing is this is always her choice.

Help your daughter make a good decision for herself by asking her what her softball goals are and then helping her set up a training schedule to meet them.

Nov 15, 2011
It all starts with the overhand throw. Play catch with her on her off days and she should be good to go.

Yes! "Practicing" everyday could be just 15 min. of throwing, 50 balls off a tee, 50 one hops, or even 100 swings in the garage (if it is cold like it is here). 2 hour practices are not required. While softball is a team sport it is really individual work that makes the difference, but if you're doing things on your own it takes a lot less time than if you are practicing with a team.

Oct 10, 2011
goals etc...

Well, she certainly has lofty goals:) Part of the problem is it is dark here by 5 and a little harder to get motivated. I get home after that and my wife is scared to death of her now because she throws so hard. When the weather is nice, she always wants to go to the park and work out, but that's partially because of all the baseball players being there! Any suggestions on throwing drills that can be done in a two car garage? She needs to tweak her throw a bit as she drops her arm down (something she started doing after taking a catchers clinic all last winter). Now, she'll just be playing 3rd and left field.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
DD's schedule can get pretty grueling when Softball season is in full swing, as she plays TB and LL.

She'll have LL practice and/or games everyday during the week and then of course TB tourney on every other Saturday. Sunday's she has TB practice, supposedly from 2-4, but we've never been finished by 4, she will get that Sunday off if we've played in a tourney. Tuesdays she has 1 hour pitching lessons and Wednesdays its 1 hour batting lessons. Usually on those Tuesdays and Wednesdays, we have to haul bootay after her lesson to get to the LL game. Seems like a lot, but she has never complained or said she didn't want to go, so we keep trucking.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For the 1st time this year I set up a station for DD in the basement. She has a tee and a tarp she can hit into as often or little as she wants. I can join her or not as she wishes. I will work with her as much or little as she wants. The only “rule” we have is if she doesn’t practice, outside of Team practice, we will not pay for lessons.

No boys allowed in the basement. :)

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Best thing I did was set up a batting cage in the basement for my 4 DD's (all rec league players from age 12 to 5). We are using it for something every day and my neighbor has started using it to run "spring training" for her 5 sons. Latest game is to taking turns fielding grounders from dad. Big fun! It's enabled them to do some kind of practice almost every day, for as long or short as they like and keep it fun.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How much should we encourage (pressure) our 13 yr old to practice outside of her scheduled practice

It depends upon her goal.

The "good" field players practice as the catchers and pitchers. Hitting practice should be done every day. (If your DD doesn't like to practice hitting, then she needs to find a new sport.) Then, she needs to work on fielding perhaps 45 minutes to an hour 3 days a week.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks

Thanks for all of the input. Her goals are to play D-1 and has been told she has what it takes if she sticks with it. She is a hard worker...again, I was mainly worried about burn out as she will have a very demanding tournament schedule. Hitting is her strong point and she would do that all day, but she does give a little grief at times over the fielding practice. Once she gets started she has fun though. She told me she would rather work out with her team mates than me (darn teenagers) so I'll try to get them together as much as possible. I truly enjoy that time with her though:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish