Is it bad Etiquette for daughter to ask to practice with older team on top of praticing with her team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
My DD plays 12U for a good sized organization with numerous teams from 10U to 18U. We have never practiced with other age groups. Is practicing with different ages groups or teams of same age a common thing? DD has been playing travel for a while and we've never done it. During the peak of covid, some of the older girls ran zoom speed and agility classes for our players but we've never mixed up ages in a practice. I could see the younger players really liking to practice with the older players. Wonder if older players truly enjoy having the younger players around while they're trying to workout.

Jun 8, 2016
My DD plays 12U for a good sized organization with numerous teams from 10U to 18U. We have never practiced with other age groups. Is practicing with different ages groups or teams of same age a common thing? DD has been playing travel for a while and we've never done it. During the peak of covid, some of the older girls ran zoom speed and agility classes for our players but we've never mixed up ages in a practice. I could see the younger players really liking to practice with the older players. Wonder if older players truly enjoy having the younger players around while they're trying to workout.
I don't think it is a regular thing, but many do it once in a while as a sort of "special occasion" event.

Mar 16, 2021
Thanks everybody for the feedback, My daughter is a very driven kid, for the past 2years we work together 4 days a week with her pitching not including her lessons with pitching and batting, now her fielding is starting to stand out more then her pitching so when we have the time we work out on the field as well, but she wants more and enjoys the constructive criticism the more experienced coaches give her because I'll be honest shes past the point where I can give her any😕 but we ( her parents) were thinking the same thing most of you are saying witch is it could go side ways with her team witch was the reason for the question. So thanks again for the feed back

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There are a couple of orgs that I know run large group practices...12yos on the same field as 14/16s. I wouldn't go near that. Orgs are fine for support, but one team and one familiar set of coaches all on same page is best, IMO.

I'll echo others here by saying that, in terms of individual reps, more quality grounders and fly balls can be hit in 20 minutes to one kid by a capable parent than they'd get during an entire practice anywhere. I usually hit harder and a greater variety to my kid than what she sees at practice anyway. Double that for batting practice. To me, the team practice benefit comes from throwing and situational drills done in position, not from station work that can easily be done on your own.

BTW...just because someone played in college doesn't mean they can teach good technique to kids, or were even any good themselves. I've seen mistakes with basic fielding in recent college games that make me scratch my head given the amount of time they spend. Mistakes that would immediately earn DD another bucket of grounders or fly balls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad