Explaining Physiological "feel" of Sequence to DD????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
South carolina
I think that I have a pretty good understanding of muscle feel and how the orientation and timing ( "Forward to go back") of the hips, legs, shoulders and hands work when I swing a bat myself. My problem is how to explain to my 10 year old how to understand and identify this feeling.
I realize that a good sequence should flow and is not segmented but what cues can I give to her so she feels what muscles should be activated? Are there isolation drills for her to create muscle memory of the steps in the "Sequence"?

Examples:
1) How to teach feel of the rear leg
2) Resistance ( both legs and hips)
3) Spinal Tilt (instead of leaning over toward ball)

I appreciate any advice that you can give. I am sure that I'm not alone but it is frustrating to not be able to explain these things to my DD.

May 4, 2012
pick up a bale of hay and toss it in the back of your truck - not kidding. you can emulate this with some other relatively heavy object - some have used a 5 gal bucket of baseballs/softballs. Have her do it a bit then ask her to think about how her legs feel/where is the weight at certain points etc - through the process. Then have her think about how her hands are in relation to her lower half - she will have overlap or not much umph - right? IN other words theres a brief period of time where the bale is going away from target yet lower has started redirection. How you create whip - whether its a tennis racket, hockey stick you name it You play around with it first, then do it together. Then I would get her a wood bat of equivalent length and see if she cant maintain the same feel/sequence

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
pick up a bale of hay and toss it in the back of your truck - not kidding. you can emulate this with some other relatively heavy object - some have used a 5 gal bucket of baseballs/softballs. Have her do it a bit then ask her to think about how her legs feel/where is the weight at certain points etc - through the process. Then have her think about how her hands are in relation to her lower half - she will have overlap or not much umph - right? IN other words theres a brief period of time where the bale is going away from target yet lower has started redirection. How you create whip - whether its a tennis racket, hockey stick you name it You play around with it first, then do it together. Then I would get her a wood bat of equivalent length and see if she cant maintain the same feel/sequence

2efqas1.jpg