Exhibition game “strategy”

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Headed to a tournament next weekend where there is no pool play, only an exhibition game (or two if you pay for it) and then a power bracket where they reseed as bracket play progresses. Coaches have been asked to give 1 team they would like to play. Question is who would you choose? There are 4 other local teams in it, so I would eliminate them. DD’s team is likely in the bottom 1/4 of the teams entered and more than half of the team hasn’t played a game in more than 2 months. So do you choose one of the top teams entered, a middle of the road team or one which you think you have a decent chance of beating?

Personally I would want to play one of the better teams but with some of personalities on that team I am afraid taking a beating in the 1st game will ruin them for the rest of the tournament...

Edit: I am not a coach so this is purely theoretical. Also this is 12U so an answer of “who cares” is perfectly acceptable 😂

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Favor playing against the best. Will take some beatings but kids learn and the little successes can be strong building blocks.

Jun 8, 2016
Favor playing against the best. Will take some beatings but kids learn and the little successes can be strong building blocks.
Yeah agree..but the coaches have to view it that way as well else we will be sitting there for 30 minutes waiting for the postgame “talk” to end 😒

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
😃sheeesh glad thats not an essay question 📝

Pick playing a team who is the best competition.
Set the bar
As an example
A challenge
A goal
An opportunity

imo
Our mindset 'How we look at the choice' is relevant to our goals.

Think big Dream big Grow!

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
It’s too had he didn’t take anyone’s advice about looking at any Texas kids because playing a good A team would have been a perfect tryout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
😃sheeesh glad thats not an essay question 📝

Pick playing a team who is the best competition.
Set the bar
As an example
A challenge
A goal
An opportunity

imo
Our mindset 'How we look at the choice' is a relevant to our goals.

Think big Dream big Grow!
I am an Engineering prof..I don’t do that essay cr@& 😉

Jun 8, 2016
It’s too had he didn’t take anyone’s advice about looking at any Texas kids because playing a good A team would have been a perfect tryout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah we won’t be talking about that..he went North instead of South which would have been fine if they were a hockey team 😅

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619