Easton Stealth Speed Fp11st10

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Oh man what memories. The "chasing the hottest bat" days! Man o man, used to be fun. I spent hours upon hours going through Ebay and hundred upons hundreds of dollars looking for that elusive magic stick that would turn my 12u DD into Lauren Chamberlain and have her launching outside pitches at the knees over the scoreboard as if they were launched from a ground to air missle system. But eventually I realized that it's more about the Indian, not the arrow. There are no magic bats out there. Still fun to think that you might find that unicorn though! Once in a while I find myself looking through Ebay again. Hard to explain the allure to it all. Thinking you will find that hidden gem that no one else knows about I guess. Good stuff OP.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
Yes, because of the saturation of talent in Southern California plus.... do you not think that the coaches at Oklahoma, Florida, Florida State, Arizona State, Oklahoma State... wouldn't jump at the chance to go home to California and start a Trojans softball program? Or just say USC does what UCLA baseball did and hire a top assistant from cross town and Lisa Fernandez starts the USC Softball program. They would have their choice of the best coaches in softball.
And all the girls from and in Southern California who are filling up the rosters and incoming classes of other schools across the country....those girls whose daddies walk around every weekend with USC hats and sweatshirts on, that sit in USC chairs at the games.... they'd all jump at the chance to start a Trojans softball program.
USC has more national titles in men's sports than any D1 college in the nation, ucla and Stanford lead USC in overall national titles but that is because the Trojans have historically fielded very few women's athletics teams. They recently started soccer and won 2 national championships in their first handful of seasons. The school also just hired a woman President so softball at USC is becoming more and more of a possibility.

I figured that you meant South Carolina when you mentioned the "upstate" part but USC in college athletics will ALWAYS mean The University of Southern California. The Trojans have twice as many National Championships in baseball as any other school.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
We asked USC’s Director of Sports Information Tim Tessalon why USC has no Softball Team and if the PAC-12 powerhouse had ever considered starting a softball program.

“USC did an extensive study about 15 years ago on the feasibility of adding softball, but determined that there was not available adequate space on or near campus for a stadium and accompanying facilities that would allow USC to compete at the highest level in the sport,” stated Tessalon.

Oct 4, 2018
We asked USC’s Director of Sports Information Tim Tessalon why USC has no Softball Team and if the PAC-12 powerhouse had ever considered starting a softball program.

“USC did an extensive study about 15 years ago on the feasibility of adding softball, but determined that there was not available adequate space on or near campus for a stadium and accompanying facilities that would allow USC to compete at the highest level in the sport,” stated Tessalon.

About the only logical reason I can think of.

Jan 8, 2019
About the only logical reason I can think of.
Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Personally, I could not care less if USC dropped all sports and closed their doors 😉, but to use this as an excuse for decades just shows me that they are unwilling to even bother with trying to support the sport. It might mean their football program would have to release/share some funding and real estate to make it happen, and doubtful that would ever happen.

Oct 4, 2018
Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Personally, I could not care less if USC dropped all sports and closed their doors 😉, but to use this as an excuse for decades just shows me that they are unwilling to even bother with trying to support the sport. It might mean their football program would have to release/share some funding and real estate to make it happen, and doubtful that would ever happen.

It comes down to money, right?

If you're the University of Southern South Dakota (making up a school) that has tons of land easily and cheaply available, adding softball might make a lot of sense.

If you're in the middle of Los Angeles, a bit less so (probably).

Jan 8, 2019
No sympathy for geographic difficulties. UCLA plus football a half hour drive away from campus (on a good day). Student groups hire busses to get to games.

There are a ton of softball facilities that USC could partner with, renovate and use as a home field. There are 1 1/2 PRACTICE football fields next to the baseball stadium. There is a nearly softball stadium size LAWN northeast of the BB stadium. They have a club team, where do they play? Any option will involve $$ and some sacrifice, but there are options.

@uncdrew is almost 100% correct that it all comes down to $$, but the factor that point misses is the willingness to support something for reasons other than money, which they seem unwilling to do.

Apologies for the rant! I am not a USC fan, so not sure why it’s a hot button for me. Just tired of people accepting the excuse that it’s “hard” while they poor boatloads of money into male sports programs without question.

ETA: It will likely take an uber rich alumni willing to give the school $50M to build it, and since there are no direct softball affiliated alumni, it will likely wait until the uber rich person has a grandda who wants to play there in 10 years.

and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
UCLA plus football a half hour drive away from campus (on a good day). Student groups hire busses to get to games.
what are you saying here? Are you talking about their home games? That's only 7 days out of the year. UCLA has 2 full size football practice fields on campus. That's where they spend the other 358 days of the year.

If USC softball only had to worry about traveling 7 times a year to their stadium that's 30 minutes away your post might make sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877