Easton ghost fastpitch bat compression

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Lately I have been receiving a lot of questions regarding compression scores and what this means. Compression testers simply measure the amount of wall flex and correlates that to a number indicating its performance. For USSSA and the new stamped ASA bats, the passing mark is at or above 220 or 1450 psi. Any bat that scores UNDER this mark is deemed illegal for use as it exceeds the BPF standards for sanctioned play. In layman terms, lower the score, hotter the product, HOWEVER, this is all relative to a point because not all bats test the same
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

May 12, 2016
Thanks, I was wondering the same thing, however figured lower was better. Is the ghost really that hot? We had a Mako and it didn't perform well for my DD's compared to the CF8 and Xeno 2015

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Mako is nothing compared the Ghost..plain and simple. Complete diff bat all together. And yes, the Ghost is good. Prior Eastons just stood fast to the thought of making a tank that lasted
years, not really trying to compete with other bats' performances.

The Ghost was made to outperform bats

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Mako is nothing compared the Ghost..plain and simple. Complete diff bat all together. And yes, the Ghost is good. Prior Eastons just stood fast to the thought of making a tank that lasted

Thanks Core, and that's refreshing to hear. That perfectly describes my DD's experience with the Mako... Tank!

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017

The Ghost was made to outperform bats

I'll beg to differ a little on the Mako. Rachel Garcia at UCLA would differ too as she swings what looks to be a 2015 Mako. A broken-in Mako for a player with good swing speed will work fine, plus its barrel is huge and it's a little more balanced than the Ghost. I'm guessing the lower compression outer barrel on the Ghost probably helps slower swing speeds more than it would a faster swing (just intuition, not scientific). I bought a Mako recently for DD as a BP bat and it's now broken in. I put a radar on my 16U DD's swing for the Ghost, Mako (broken in), Stealth (new), and Xeno (broken in). There wasn't much difference. I will add, though, that the ball sounds and feels awesome coming off the Ghost.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I'll beg to differ a little on the Mako. Rachel Garcia at UCLA would differ too as she swings what looks to be a 2015 Mako. A broken-in Mako for a player with good swing speed will work fine, plus its barrel is huge and it's a little more balanced than the Ghost. I'm guessing the lower compression outer barrel on the Ghost probably helps slower swing speeds more than it would a faster swing (just intuition, not scientific). I bought a Mako recently for DD as a BP bat rand it's now broken in. I put a radar on my 16U DD's swing for the Ghost, Mako (broken in), Stealth (new), and Xeno (broken in). There wasn't much difference. I will add, though, that the ball sounds and feels awesome coming off the Ghost.

I'm sure we all have different experiences.. I can't speak for the Ghost, but IMO both CF8 and Xeno 2015 outperformed the Mako.. and the Mako was well broken in, I made sure of that.

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
I'm sure we all have different experiences.. I can't speak for the Ghost, but IMO both CF8 and Xeno 2015 outperformed the Mako.. and the Mako was well broken in, I made sure of that.

Yep. I think the proper sized bat and swing balance probably impact results more than we know too. The CF8 is a lot lighter than the Ghost...current Xeno's are heavier but the 2015 you had may have been lighter (my DDs 2015 LXT was lighter than the new ones).

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I'll beg to differ a little on the Mako. Rachel Garcia at UCLA would differ too as she swings what looks to be a 2015 Mako..

Just because one person likes a bat, doesn't mean the overall concensus of a bat is wrong. A lot of people love one piece bats, but there is a reason
all bat manufacturers went to 2 piece or multi piece. I wont even go into why Wilson even started making two piece bats because people would get butt hurt...haha.
The past few years of Easton were built to last and were tanks...will not compete with todays bats unless you have severely beat them up. And then they still
wont outperform them. That's why Easton had to change their bats, or they were going under. Not many liked their bats compared to other brands.

Again, not every bat is for everybody...but just saying your beat up Mako isn't doing any better than other brand new bats should tell you something.

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
Just because one person likes a bat, doesn't mean the overall concensus of a bat is wrong. A lot of people love one piece bats, but there is a reason
all bat manufacturers went to 2 piece or multi piece. I wont even go into why Wilson even started making two piece bats because people would get butt hurt...haha.
The past few years of Easton were built to last and were tanks...will not compete with todays bats unless you have severely beat them up. And then they still
wont outperform them. That's why Easton had to change their bats, or they were going under. Not many liked their bats compared to other brands.

Again, not every bat is for everybody...but just saying your beat up Mako isn't doing any better than other brand new bats should tell you something.

Daughter loves the Ghost. I do too (other than durability and pocket book). But the when the radar doesn't say it's significantly better than everything else on the market, especially supposedly older technology, that's telling too. Show me an empirical study that says the Ghost is better than other bats at certain swing speeds, at certain temperatures etc. then get back to me. Until then, I'll like it but not love it.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
And thats your right to do so...never said you had to like or how you should feel about the Ghost...we were just talking about Makos, weren't we? since thats what you disagreed with.

Trying to keep track of what you disagree with which is why I was talking about Makos

So you don't like any bat because of the pocket book? Pretty much all bats are 349

Btw, I have a 34/24 white/blue mako STILL sitting here if anybody else loves them...been trying to sell it for 2 years.
Make a deal :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00