Easing in after injury, need advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
For those of you long timers here on discuss fastpitch, I posted roughly a year and a half ago about a shoulder injury I was dealing with. I ended up going through surgery #1 (botched) to fix a torn labrum, and then surgery #2 (all is well) to fix the first surgeries mistake, and ended up finding a torn rotator cuff and 1 inch bone spur, both fixed, as well as re-fixing the repair of the torn labrum. Surgery #2 was in April of 2014, and I have been cleared to return (after months of PT and recovery) to play in February of this year.
Although I had one of the best shoulder surgeons around, I wasn't really guided into a way to return. Simply, I was told just to ease into throwing at a short distance and gradually progress. Being 19, I'm confident in trusting my body's ability to separate pain from discomfort/unfamiliar movements/etc. However, I'm looking for some help on specific drills to help ease myself into this process, besides simply playing catch.

Any advice, feedback, thoughts, comments or concerns are welcome. Thank you in advance!

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-discussions/13631-injury-not-quite-sure.html
this is the link to my previous forum post, and I did reply a few times throughout the thread!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I don't know if you have access to one but a sports oriented physical therapist would be who I'd consult with. My daughter's HS has one on staff and she provides all the girls with a regime to rehab depending on the injury and sport. DD had a bad ankle injury that she has worked on since the fall with various exercises and is pretty good now. NOTE the injury was a bad ankle sprain so not as serious a rehab as a torn rotator cuff and labrum. FWIW, I had both of your injuries but perhaps to a lesser extent. My DR told me he could not guarantee I'd feel any better after surgery so I opted for PT. A year of therapy and I was better. That injury just takes a while to heal. Be patient with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi