Early bat speed - does it exist?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
😕

I was with you until "graph on top of Ortiz's swing". The part after that made me dizzy.
Sorry. Basically I was trying to propose a way to compare the graphs qualitatively, e.g. the overall shape of the curve

Aug 2, 2019
Sorry. Basically I was trying to propose a way to compare the graphs qualitatively, e.g. the overall shape of the curve
Then just say that! Geez, all you educated folks and your damn fancy talk. I just tell DD I'm going to throw the yellow thing at her and she needs to hit it with this $400 stick. If more yellow things end up in the grass than up against the back stop, we'll go get ice cream.

Jun 8, 2016
Then just say that! Geez, all you educated folks and your damn fancy talk. I just tell DD I'm going to throw the yellow thing at her and she needs to hit it with this $400 stick. If more yellow things end up in the grass than up against the back stop, we'll go get ice cream.
The fancy-smancy talk is limited to this board. For the most part I am the same as you with my DD except the stick in her case is only worth $200... ;)

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
There is not alot of data points out there on the web and only a couple other graphs that i saw. And i am not sure if i can pull the data from my Blast, i assume it has all the points, but not sure how to get at it, otherwise i could lay my DD's data in there. From these two other arbitrary graphs it still looks like they are both still showing bat lag until almost peak hand speed then barrel whip. At least that is how i see them. So the phrase 'early bat speed' to me doesn't mean to torque the barrel faster at go to get bat speed ahead of hand speed, it would mean to me to resist and maintain barrel control thru the initial barrel turn. Not sure if that means the barrel speed should be at or greater than the hands speed along the points of the graph or not. This first graph below really has barrel speed drop behind hands, so maybe that is more of what Pattar is looking for to compare high level to low level.

1580996241003.png1580996269049.png

Jul 29, 2013
My apologies Shawn, I guess I am just not sure what case you are making. Yes I see the intersection. This to me is only a function that the barrel didn't start more vertical. As well that the barrel is getting on plane. Are you arguing for or against early bat speed?

My point for showing the skeleton was only to show the speed changing from red to yellow to green and that it wasn't immediate.
So the question is " is early bat speed important?" a better question would be, "what's the bat speed at contact and how do you create more bat speed?" and then, "is early bat speed related to overall bat speed?"
First define early. Early in time, or bat path?
What influence does delayed bat speed have on contact bat speed and does the delay help or hurt acceleration of the bat to top speed?
What movements create the most bat speed at contact along with a direction to influence the flight of the ball to optimum result?
I noticed the hand speed accelerates before the barrel and then decelerates but the barrel keeps on accelerating. What causes that and how is the speed of the hands measured? Linearly or rotationally? Is it all acceleration based and deceleration is merely negative acceleration (change of speed in a direction over time) then a circular hand path provides constant acceleration?
So a loose and then tighter hand path would provide more acceleration with an ultimately slower hand speed? What's that say about casting the barrel?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Same speed doesn’t mean same efficiency. Like I told you before , STOP THINKING A SLOW PITCH SWING IS THE SAME AS A HIGH LEVEL SWING.

Jun 8, 2016
that 96 is his ev off front toss. LOL. Don’t you ever look farther than in front of your nose?
Actually the 96 was the Zepp measured bat speed from the graph on the 1st page of the thread. Not sure if it was front toss or not.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you want to be a low level juco player, or
Actually the 96 was the Zepp measured bat speed from the graph on the 1st page of the thread. Not sure if it was front toss or not.

Don’t believe everything you read. Verify. Question. Verify some more.

Edit : it’s not like Zepp was dishonest with any of their marketing or advertising right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid