duty to slide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
USSSA tourney, combined 16/18 division. Team A has bases loaded. Team B pitcher throws wild pitch. Team A runner on third heads home, as does Team B pitcher to cover plate. Runner doesn't slide and runs right over Team B pitcher who was looking to receive the ball from the catcher. Note that the runner was going to be safe no matter what. Team B pitcher was knocked down like a hard body check in hockey, and remains on ground in obvious pain. Ball rolls away a few feet. Team B catcher is worried about her pitcher and is too stunned to react to ball. Meanwhile Team A base runner who was on second comes around to score. Time is finally called.

So, in sum, collision at the plate on a wild pitch resulted in two runs scored. Team B's coaches and parents were very upset that Team A's base runner didn't slide. They were yelling at the ump that the runner should have been declared out (for not sliding) and the other base runners should have to go back to where they were.

Curious if anyone knows if there is an actual rule requiring a player to slide in this type of situation. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2008
Plain and simple, there is no such thing as a must slide rule. A runner may slide to avoid being called out for crashing (malicious contact in high school) a fielder in posession of the ball, but in the play you have presented the pitcher did not have the ball. Based on your description of the play my bet would be the pitcher was standing on the plate without the ball.

Jun 22, 2008
No, no rule set has a must slide rule. Local leagues do sometimes add them on their own, but no nationally recognized rule set has a must slide rule.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We coach our pitchers to NOT block the plate on a passed ball. It is not worth the risk of injury regardless of whether or not the base runner slides.

Mar 26, 2013
No rule in any rule set, ASA?
Sliding is an option, not a requirement, for regular rule sets. The runner can also avoid contact by trying to go around the fielder with the ball or retreating.

Note: NFHS rules differentiate between legal and illegal sliding - some forms of illegal sliding may be ruled malicious contact.

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks, all. Pretty much what I expected. Seems like the less a parent knows the rules, the louder he/she will scream.

One more question - even if a player is obviously injured, is the umpire obligated to hold off on calling time until the play comes to an end? Seems like a no brainer to me, but again the parents thought that the play should have been over after the collision due to the injury to the pitcher.

Mar 26, 2013
Don't know about U-trip, but ASA rule 10-4E says play in progress should only be stopped if the injured player requires immediate attention.

Jul 24, 2013
we have seen this a lot...posted on it. Pitcher blocks home, waiting, while Catcher finds and tosses the ball. IF the pitcher had the ball, and your runner CHOSE to slam her to try and dislodge the ball, in many rule sets, she would be out. BUT without the ball, no rules, even local apply... I bring this up at my plate meeting now. it just isnt worth an injury.

I tell my girls if there is ANY traffic at the plate, even a obstructing person, to slide, it will reduce injuries to both parties vs a vertical running body check...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi