duty to slide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
If the collision is judged to be malicious (ie: violent in nature, with the runner deliberately trying to knock the fielder over, lowering a shoulder, throwing an elbow, etc.) then the runner is also to be ejected. It is a protestable call.

Umpires here-being this is a subjective call how would you rule it and within what boundaries?

Ive had the same-runner goes home-about halfway catcher receives the ball and comes up the line a bit to tag (dead to rights)-runner can return to third but doesn't. She lowers a shoulder and in the collision grabs the glove of the catcher-gets up and finishes her run home.

IMHO she should be tossed.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
If the collision is judged to be malicious (ie: violent in nature, with the runner deliberately trying to knock the fielder over, lowering a shoulder, throwing an elbow, etc.) then the runner is also to be ejected. It is a protestable call.

Umpires here-being this is a subjective call how would you rule it and within what boundaries?

Ive had the same-runner goes home-about halfway catcher receives the ball and comes up the line a bit to tag (dead to rights)-runner can return to third but doesn't. She lowers a shoulder and in the collision grabs the glove of the catcher-gets up and finishes her run home.

If the collision is judged to be malicious by the umpire, the runner may be ejected. If the fielder does not have the ball, obstruction should be ruled and appropriate bases awarded, then the runner ejected if necessary.

In your situation as stated above, the catcher had the ball, so the runner should have been declared out due to crash interference and ejected. Lowering the shoulder is usually evidence of malicious contact.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

No it is not a protestable as it requires the umpire's judgment

An umpire must see such a play to render a decision. Many times stories are relayed through the heart and not the eyes and brain.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
No it is not a protestable as it requires the umpire's judgment

An umpire must see such a play to render a decision. Many times stories are relayed through the heart and not the eyes and brain.

Thanks for the help on the first part.

No thanks for the assumption on the second part. I asked for advice on the specific scenario I posted as described.

I am not a noob coach or umpire. In the end my question was rhetorical for the thread audience as I wanted the answer to come from a trusted umpire source here on DFP ;)

Mar 15, 2014

Called out and then ejected.
She committed two violations--maliciously running into the catcher and then grabbing her glove.
In fact if a double play was possible then another out can be recorded.
As to subjective--one can tell if it was malicious or just a trip and fall.
Lowering the shoulder is usually evidence of malicious contact.
Exactly.
If not judged to be malicious the runner is still out, but not ejected.

Some call this going by gut instinct and is a valid point.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
As to subjective--one can tell if it was malicious or just a trip and fall

You would be surprised how many times the "she was just protecting herself" or "she was starting her slide" or even the even weaker "she WAS sliding" excuse comes out of the coach's mouth when an umpire calls an out on the collision and/or ejects a runner for it.

Even as the UIC at a NC, I spent more than 30 minutes with coaches from a team who somehow thought that I was going to overturn an umpire's call or no call in this case based solely on what THEY believed to be a runner lowering her shoulder into a catcher. I did not see the play, I was at another field and the umpire did not believe the catcher lowered her shoulder or collided with the catcher.

A little while later I asked the opposing coach about the play and without me doing anything more than mentioning the play, the coach blurted out, "hell, she's got a right to defend herself". I just walked away as any further conversation would have just been wasting my breath and time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi