Dugout question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Teams don't typically have to move from dugouts previously occupied...that's a pretty common rule. However, it's a tournament-specific rule. I've seen some instances where the rules said "move".

That said, while I don't think the side itself matters to the outcome, it is useful to have the HC on the same side as the dugout. Sometimes, decisions need to be made quickly, and when the HC is in a coaching box on the other side of the field, communication can be difficult.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Teams don't typically have to move from dugouts previously occupied...that's a pretty common rule. However, it's a tournament-specific rule. I've seen some instances where the rules said "move".

That said, while I don't think the side itself matters to the outcome, it is useful to have the HC on the same side as the dugout. Sometimes, decisions need to be made quickly, and when the HC is in a coaching box on the other side of the field, communication can be difficult.

Do you mean when they're base coaching? Our HC typically is 3rd base coach. I guess that would have to depend on how the coaching staff is set up?

I do like when they specify who gets what dugout in the rules - just to not have to guess which side to sit on - but it's never been an issue when you get closer to the championship game. There was a team at this tournament who played their first game at 945am - lost and were in the loser's bracket for the rest of the day - they kept winning and made it all the way back to the championship game at 815pm - 5 games in one day. If someone had told them they had to move each game - I think I would have pitched a fit.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Do you mean when they're base coaching? Our HC typically is 3rd base coach. I guess that would have to depend on how the coaching staff is set up?

Yeah...when the HC is on 3B, and the dugout and people keeping track of game time, score, and lineup info are all on the 1B side, communication can be a problem.

JLF

Sep 18, 2017
The only advantage is if the sun is shining in on one dugout and the other is in shade.

Sounds like there are parents not familiar with sports in general. My wife is one of these types. She will get riled up over something minor or that she misinterpreted and I have to explain how and why it isn't a big deal.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If you are already in the dugout, then the team is not moving. Simple as that.

Anyone not understanding that is either new or just stupid. Or both.

Game break and it is first there unless specified by the tournament... Which is almost never.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As others have mentioned, the only significant advantage/disadvantage is related to weather issues.

If both teams are new to the field, go by whatever is dictated by the event (we usually see top of bracket in 3B dugout). If nothing is dictated, whoever gets there first gets their choice. If one team is staying from their previous game, they stay in the dugout they're in.

That said, if my team was in a dugout that had a significant heat/shade disadvantage, I might look for an opportunity to make a switch.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Interestingly enough - the HC of the other team does typically coach 1B and our HC coaches 3B so they would have been better switching but we had been there first. Again if their HC had asked, our HC would have moved. After a parent had said they wanted the dugout - our HC did go ask him about it. This is a team we've been playing for years and our HC and this HC actually coached a MS team together so they are friendly already.

Jun 11, 2013
You never have to move if you have back to back games. At most of our tourneys the team listed first on schedule or the higher seed in bracket play get the 3rd base dugout. Once in a while a new team will not no the rules and there are always the coaches who try and take the shade if you let them. It's usually not worth it, but sometimes we'll make a team move if we think it's just the coach playing games(very rarely).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414